The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Question

I have been considering switching from my Honig’s K1 Pro-Elite chest protector to the WestVest Platinum.

I have been struggling over whether the Platinum or Gold offers better protection. The Gold seems to be set up more forward facing at the shoulders, whereas the Platinum is set up higher.

I exchanged a few, very short, emails with Joe West (not a man of many words) via his website about it. I was interested in the difference in protection between the Platinum and the Gold.

Per Joe, “the protection is exactly the same as long as your back is at a 45 deg. angle. The only difference is the Platinum is more form fitting.” This is not a problem if your working the knee, scissors or Gerry Davis stances.

Interesting that there is a $30 difference in price, Platinum is cheaper (yet if offers the same protection ?).

Anybody using the Platinum ?

How do you like it ?

Nick
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

I bought my Platinum at the beginning of this season. So far, I really like it. I took one hard shot to the chest and did not feel a thing. I don't find it to make me any hotter than my old chect protector. Now, if I could only get my shirt off all by myself when I am wearing the darn thing, I will be very happy!
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Question

ref59405,

Are the shoulder pads too stiff to allow you to raise your arms ?

Nick
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
Interesting that there is a $30 difference in price, Platinum is cheaper (yet if offers the same protection ?).
GerryDavis.com has the platinum more expensive than the gold. Platinum is $169.90 and the Gold is $154.90. Only a $15 price difference. Where did you see the $30 difference?
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
I got the gold this season. Won't get a chance to try it out behind the plate till next week though.

119$

[Edited by jxt127 on May 20th, 2004 at 10:30 PM]
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have two protectors. One is a very lightweight Cooper I use for 15 and under games. I used it for all levels, JV to adult, until 2 years ago, when I bought a West Vest clone. Now I use this one for JV and up. I paid $85 for it 2 years ago. I have never been hurt by a shot to either protector. I took a shot to the throat in an adult game a couple years ago, which prompted me to add a short extension to my mask, but I have not been hurt in the chest with the protectors I have.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I would recommend the WV platinum. I have it and really like it, it isnt as heavy or bulky as it looks..its amazingly light. The side fitting pads can sometimes get in the way...but its a great purchase. I do wear something else for fast pitch and little kids, though.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I've got at least 100 games with my Platinum. Haven't felt one shot yet. It's light, it velcros apart for cleaning and it makes you look like a linebacker.

One tip. Where the metal rivets meet the padding, rust can form from sweat. Put adhesive felt dots over all the rivets and you'll have no rust stains.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
Anybody using the Platinum ?

How do you like it ?
I've owned both the Gold and the Platinum, not to mention a half dozen or more other chest protectors (confessed gear junkie, in rehab) and I sold the Platinum and still use the Gold for virtually all my umpiring. The Gold is more forward facing at the shoulders, and in my opinion offers better protection for those who use Gerry Davis, box, heel-toe, etc. The Platinum would probably be better optimized for those working scissors stances.

Maybe just due to my specific body size or shape, but the Gold fits me better than the Platinum did. The Gold feels like a custom fit. The Platinum was not a bad protector, but I think the Gold is better.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

nickrego, the shoulder pads make raising your arms a little more difficult, but not too much. I have only worn the platinum for 3 or 4 games, so it is not fully broken in yet. It is bulkier around the shoulders than my previous protector, so it will take some practice to be able to get my shirt on and off without strangling myself.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 09:58am

Wink West Vest is best

I have used the Platinum for two seasons.
I used to use the POS BB204 and took one in the chest at a college game. The bruise lasted for two weeks.
The Platinum takes a couple of days to break in but it saves your butt with every foul ball. I've used it when it's 90 and when it's 40. It's pliable enough for all conditions.

It's a little tough to get on under some shirts, but no problem under a pull over or plate coat.

Get one today...it is worth every penny.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

The Gold

From what I've seen in pictures and heard online, the Gold faces forward. But, does it still cover up the collar bone and top of the shoulders? I know I was thankful that my K1 came up and over my shoulders when a foul ball went straight from the bat and hit the new plate on top of the shoulder/collarbone area...and I work a balanced stance.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray