The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I called obstruction on 3rd base coach on this play.
Please tell me if you would have done the same:

3rd base coach (8U Coach Pitch) is in the coaches box
and a runner is coming to 3rd after the ball is hit to
the outfield. 3rd baseban misses thrown
ball to him from the outfield (as the 3rd baseman stands
3 feet to the outside of the base); the coach stays put
with his hands on his knees allowing the ball to slow roll
between his legs while the 3rd baseman
has to stop his pursuit and move around the base coach,
obviously giving the base running time to continue toward
home to score.

After I made the call and gaveThe coach insisted that he had
the right to the box and did not have to move.

Old Sat May 08, 2004, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

CORRECTION: Last paragraph should read...

After play coach rebuked my call saying that he
had the right to the coaches box and did not have
to move.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

again ADDITION

I said obstruction, but meant interference.
I called the runner coming across 3rd out,
and dead ball (other runners returned to
base they obtained at the time.)
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Good call (interference). See OBR 7.11. Coach needs to move his a**, because he has no rights in this situation.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah I agree, he has to move.

Also, if you have to correct one of your posts, you can press the edit button at the bottom of the post and change the words around.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, Thanks for the feedback.
I enjoy this forum and have learned a lot.

JH
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Third base coach pulled that crap in coach-pitch? He needs a slap. Assuming, of course, it was an adult coach.

[Edited by Jim Porter on May 9th, 2004 at 12:32 AM]
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
Third base coach pulled that crap in coach-pitch? He needs a slap. Assuming, of course, it was an adult coach.

[Edited by Jim Porter on May 9th, 2004 at 12:32 AM]
I HOPE they would not put an 8 year old in either coach's box.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

CI

coaches have no rights to space on the feild. his resposibilty is toremove himself from the play best he can IE: move his *** to the fence. this also aplies to coaches standing or crouching around the front of the dugout gate or the dugout its self. consider it this way home team on the feild batter hits ground second baseman feilds and gives a lousey throw to first and the ball flys/rolles/bounces toward the home team dugout. couches should scatter to remove them self from interfering with the ball. and most times coaches do that. though did have a coach react by catching the ball in the the gate way . funnyest look i ever saw on a coaches face when he reilized he had caught it,lol.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Just tell the coach the first rule of Baseball "Baseball is a game with 9 players..." If the coach still wants to get involved show him to a football field.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

CI

heres the OBR rule that specifies the couches obligation in that situation.

The players, coaches or any member of an offensive team shall vacate any space (including both dugouts) needed by a fielder who is attempting to field a batted or thrown ball. PENALTY: Interference shall be called and the batter or runner on whom the play is being made shall be declared out.

Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Coach interference

I had a situation where the batter (U12) after hitting was rounding third a throw was made to the third baseman to makea play. The ball deflected off the thidbaseman's glove and into the thirdbase coach's back. The coach turned away from the the deflection. The ball stayed in play and the runner scored. The umpire made the decision that it was interference and called the runner back to third. Homerun denied!!! I wrongly argued (not loudly) that the coach had protection in the box. I still believe there was no interference due to the fact an attempt was made to (as fast a a 46 year old can move) to get out of the way and that it did not impeded the fielder attempt to get the missed ball. There was no intential move to touch the ball or to block the fielder and the ball did not land near the coach.

Opinion please.

Exert from rules:

The question of intentional or unintentional interference shall be decided on the basis of the person's action. For example: a bat boy, ball attendant, policeman, etc., who tries to avoid being touched by a thrown or batted ball but still is touched by the ball would be involved in unintentional interference. If, however, he kicks the ball or picks it up or pushes it, that is considered intentional interference, regardless of what his thought may have been.
PLAY: Batter hits ball to shortstop, who fields ball but throws wild past first baseman. The offensive coach at first base, to avoid being hit by the ball, falls to the ground and the first baseman on his way to retrieve the wild thrown ball, runs into the coach; the batter runner finally ends up on third base. The question is asked whether the umpire should call interference on the part of the coach. This would be up to the judgment of the umpire and if the umpire felt that the coach did all he could to avoid interfering with the play, no interference need be called. If it appeared to the umpire that the coach was obviously just making it appear he was trying not to interfere, the umpire should rule interference.

Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Re: Coach interference

Quote:
Originally posted by DonT
The ball deflected off the thidbaseman's glove and into the thirdbase coach's back. ... The umpire made the decision that it was interference and called the runner back to third.
First, if interference had occurred, the correct action would be to call the runner out, not send him back to third.

Secondly, getting hit by a bad throw or missed catch isn't always interference. The coach or other player is supposed to vacate the space needed by a defensive player who is attempting to field the ball. The way you've described this, once it went past the fielder, he wasn't trying to field the ball.

Now if the ball had landed between the coach's feet and he didn't move when the fielder tried to retrieve it, interference should be called. Or if the third baseman was standing in foul territory for some reason and the coach was standing in the path of the throw, interference could be called, even if the coach didn't know a throw was coming (interference doesn't have to be deliberate).

But the way you described the play, I would have called the runner safe at home.

[Edited by akalsey on Jun 8th, 2004 at 05:26 PM]