The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

I am 14, and want to be an umpire at the local fields, because they pay good, and I love to be around the game of baseball. I am very busy, and dont have time to take classes. Is there a book to order or a packet that I can get to explain aspects of umpiring, and then have a test sent to me, so that I can get patched?

Thanks in advance for all of the replys
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Find out what league the local field is affiliated with, ie Babe Ruth, Little League, whatever. Pay the fee to become registered in that league. For example, Babe Ruth is $30 annually. They will send you monthly newsletters, rule rule book, umpire manual, and a test to take to become certified. It's open book and since you will have the book you should be able to pass it.

Then go watch the other umpires in the league work, to see what they do in certain situations, and compare what it says you should do in the umpire manual. Then get setup to do games. If you get assigned to do games they will probably be coach pitch games, or 9-10 at the max, due to your young age.

Good luck!
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I think what you should do first is go watch a game at your local field that you want to umpire at. After the game is over go up and talk to the umpires. Tell them that you want to get into umpiring, and ask what is the best way to go about becoming an umpire. They will know the specifics of what it takes to umpire in that specific league.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

claybird,

If you are very busy, and don't have time to "take classes", are you certain you can fit ball games into your busy schedule? There really aren't any "classes" for umpires, but clinics are used, by this years end, I will have attended about 12 clinics, 4 all day, or longer, and the rest by local association. It takes some work to become good at your craft (any craft) be sure you will be able to fulfill your duties.

I'm NOT trying to run you off, I would encourage you to start now, but just be certain of what you are getting in to. I have seen a few younger umpires fade out quickly, two this season. Follow LDUB's advice, and find the area UIC. Then study, and work really hard and you may become a good umpire!

One more word of caution. You want to be an umpire because they pay good? I would hope that is not the only criteria you are using! In our area we make about 40 bucks a night for two games, that's 4 hrs minimum and about another hour for commute and pre-game duties. There are also some costs to you involved, such as registration/insurance fees, equipment costs and such, and my sunflower seed bill is enormous! I can make more money than that doing other things, but maybe a 14 yr old can't so the money aspect is appealing, but please do give it a lot of thought, and if you decide to become one, work to be a good, and dependable one!

GOOD LUCK
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

You might want to check into the local rules about how old you need to be to umpire. Many areas won't let you work that young. In mine, in particular, our insurance won't cover minors on the field unless they are members of a team (this includes batboys, brothers/sisters in the dugout, as well as younger umpires).