The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Question

All;

Please answer these questions for both FED and NCAA. Mr Jenkins answer is especially requested.

Siutation:

During the pregame, the umpires have removed certain bats from play for being dented, chipped, etc. They have the BESR label and would otherwise be eligible for play if they were not damaged.

During the game, a batter comes to bat with one of the bats that the umpires are "reasonably" sure that they disqualified during the pregame. Obviously, they cannot "prove" that they disqualified the bats. There could be two alike, or whatever.

What does the umpire do?

Slightly different scenerio:

Players hide bats that they think might flunk inspection during the pregame. In the game, the player comes to bat with a damaged BESR bat that the umpires are reasonably sure was not available for inspection prior to play?

What does the umpire do?

Peter
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

Please answer these questions for both FED and NCAA. Mr Jenkins answer is especially requested.

Siutation:

During the pregame, the umpires have removed certain bats from play for being dented, chipped, etc. They have the BESR label and would otherwise be eligible for play if they were not damaged.

During the game, a batter comes to bat with one of the bats that the umpires are "reasonably" sure that they disqualified during the pregame. Obviously, they cannot "prove" that they disqualified the bats. There could be two alike, or whatever.

What does the umpire do?

Slightly different scenerio:

Players hide bats that they think might flunk inspection during the pregame. In the game, the player comes to bat with a damaged BESR bat that the umpires are reasonably sure was not available for inspection prior to play?

What does the umpire do?

Peter
Since both bats are illegal, the umpire should remove them, handing them outside the fence to a security guard or an administrator in charge.

That they are illegal is easily proved.

That the players/coach deliberately used illegal bats is only supposition. Look menacingly at the coach -- and get on with the game.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Ditto, Papa

Except for the security guard deal - rarely seen one of those at a HS game. Give it to the coach and explain "It's illegal. If this bat comes back into the box, the batter will be ejected."
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ditto, Papa

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Except for the security guard deal - rarely seen one of those at a HS game. Give it to the coach and explain "It's illegal. If this bat comes back into the box, the batter will be ejected."
Obviously you haven't been to any of my games.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Several possible answers:

1) Mark the bats you find illegal. Check for the mark.

2) Ask to see the "other" illegal bat (the one you disqualified). If you can't find it, rule that the bat the batter has is the one you disqualified.

3) Put the DQ'd bats in the trunk of your car (or other spot out of the reach of the players).

4) Ask the coaches what they'd like to do -- after all, they are the customers and the customer is always right.

5) Allow the bat, but report the incident to the state (or to the association so other umpires can watch for it).

6) Don't check the bats in the first place. That way, you don't have this problem.

7) Don't check the bats as the players come to the plate. Ditto.

Old Wed May 05, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Put a small coloured sticker on each bat that you inspect so that you know you checked and it passed. You can get these stickers for about a buck for 25.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger49
Put a small coloured sticker on each bat that you inspect so that you know you checked and it passed. You can get these stickers for about a buck for 25.
And the sticker stays on?
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I put it on the knob. I haven't had a problem yet.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago our state HS interpreter suggested we carry Sharpies for just this reason; to mark bats that we throw out.

FWIW (nothin', I know), I'm with Papa C on HHH's original questions. If I can't prove it, I'm not tossing people.

POB