The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I was doing a FR game last night and a batter hit a shot out to left field. Well, there was no fence and the ball kept rolling. It eventually hit a soccer net and a few soccer balls which were just laying there. The fielder played the ball as if nothing happened and threw it in. The runner was at second when the ball hit the soccer equipment and made it to third. He would have easily made it to third or possibly home had it not hit the soccer equipment. It was my first game at this diamond so it wasn't something we discussed in the pre-game. I am looking for a rule reference to help me out with this one. Would the ball be dead immediatley after touching that equipment? Would the runner get a ground rule double or would it be my judgement to award him the base I think he would have made it to? I let the play go and di not call a dead ball. The fielder never put his hands up so I just let them play on. Does that make a difference?
Thanks.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

You did the right thing by letting the play go. It is like the flag pole in Tiger Stadium. It is just an object in the field of play and if the ball hits it, the ball is still live. When you go over the ground rules with the home manager, if he does not say anything about the soccer goal in the outfield, you should have brought it up and cleared it up before the game. The fielder putting his hands up does not do anything. All it means is that he is trying to notify you that the ball should be dead. It is still you decision weather the ball is dead or not.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
You sure that flag pole is in Tiger Stadium. I know Minute Maid Park (formerly good ol' Enron) where the Astros play has a flag pole as well as a hill in center field that are all in play but I wasn't aware of one in Tiger Stadium.

As for the question let it go unless someone throws the arms up in the air.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Newbie Scott
"It was my first game at this diamond so it wasn't something we discussed in the pre-game."
But it should have been. Don't leave anything to chance. If your not sure, probably the other coach isn't either. But guess who is going to take the heat about it afterwards.

This is why you get to a field, especially a new one, early. Take a stroll around and look for things like this. Make sure you cover these things in ground rules. It may save you from having a problem latter.

Rule 4.1.2 talks about "unusual conditions" that are to be straighten out during ground rules.

So you see where you went wrong?