The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Help me settle a few arguments, and prove me either right or wrong.

(1) R1 steals. P balks on his throw to first. F3 throws the ball to 2nd, F6 tages R1, who has over-slid 2nd base.

a) R1 is out, as he touched 2nd, and over-slid at his own discretion.

or

b) R1 is safe, the balk over-rides.

(2) Bases loaded, 2 outs. Home run is hit. On appeal, R1 missed 2nd base, is declared out.

a) no runs score, this is a force out

b) R3 and R2 score

c) R3, R2, and BR score

(3) R1, 1-1 on batter. Batter swings at misses at pitch that hits him. R1 steals 2nd base.

a) dead ball, R1 returns to 1st. 1-2 on batter

b) live ball, R1 becomes R2. 1-2 on batter

(4) When there is a DH, the pitcher may pinch hit for any player in the batting order.

I say: no way, he can only hit for the DH... but my friend disagrees for somem reason.... maybe I am missing something

Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

1. Time should be called when F3 catches the throw from the pitcher, and the balk award enforced.

2. a, no runs score because the 3rd out was made on a force play.

3. a, dead ball, runner returns. The ball is always dead when a batter is hit by a pitch.

4. If you're talking MLB DH rule, then the pitcher can only hit in the DH's slot.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

1. In FED ball, ball is dead immeadeatly on a balk. So it would be B. In other codes it is a delayed dead ball. I'm not sure exactly when the ball becomes dead. I would have to get out the rule books. I'm not so great in different rule sets. But the runner would not be out.

2. It is a force out so no runs may score.

3. Ball is dead. Return runners to base occupied at TOP.

4. I assume that the DH is batting for the pitcher. The DH and the pitcher are locked into the same spot in the batting order. The pitcher can only bat for the DH because the occupy the same line up slot.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baseball_North
(4) When there is a DH, the pitcher may pinch hit for any player in the batting order.

I say: no way, he can only hit for the DH... but my friend disagrees for somem reason.... maybe I am missing something

F1 can Pinch Hit only for the DH, but if the DH enters to play defense, F1 takes over the replaced players spot in the order (OBR).

Maybe that's the source of the confusion.

Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

For #1, the ball is dead at moment of balk. I think the actual mechanic in Fed is to call time then balk since you need to kill the action immediately.

In NCAA and OBR, delayed dead. Point at F1 and announce balk. Allow action to continue if possible. If F1 stops after the call you can call time at that point. Otherwise, play continues. If all runners, including BR advance at least one base, there is no more refernce to the balk. If any runner or BR is put out prior to advancing one base, the balk is enforced. When they are put out, the call is time rather than out.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Hey

Are you enjoying the Level 3 Exam?? Bet my petuty. The First one is covered in the tiny case book portion of the OBR - Ontario book. And the Ball is dead once a play occurs, and the throw to first was a play, therefore dead ball, enforce the balk.

Now I can't recall your other points, but they have been answered here anyway. Good luck on the exam, I found it most enjoyable LOL.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books in front of me but, I agree with the answers for 1, 3 & 4.

In No. 2, I don't think that B1 missing 2nd base is a Force out. Had he missed first I could agree. Therefore score the 3 runs.

Batter hits a single with R2 on base., with 2 outs. Isn't this a Timing play if the batter trys to stretch the single to a double and is tagged. The run would count if scored before the tag was made and the inning would be ended. if it was a force, the inning would end with no runs scored.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 09:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
I don't have my books in front of me but, I agree with the answers for 1, 3 & 4.

In No. 2, I don't think that B1 missing 2nd base is a Force out. Had he missed first I could agree. Therefore score the 3 runs.

Batter hits a single with R2 on base., with 2 outs. Isn't this a Timing play if the batter trys to stretch the single to a double and is tagged. The run would count if scored before the tag was made and the inning would be ended. if it was a force, the inning would end with no runs scored.
Read it again, #2 has R1, not B1.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
In other codes it is a delayed dead ball. I'm not sure exactly when the ball becomes dead. I would have to get out the rule books. I'm not so great in different rule sets. But the runner would not be out.
PBUC 6.7 covers when time should be called after a balk call.

The following cases should help explain when play is considered "stopped'~ and at what moment the
umpire should call "Time" following the call of balk:

1. If the pitcher balks and does not throw the ball, call "That's a balk; time" and enforce the balk.

2. If the balk is followed by a batted ball, leave the ball in play until it is apparent that the batter and all runners will not advance one base. At that moment, call "Time" and enforce the balk. Example (1): If a batted ball follows the balk and results in a fly ball that is caught, call "Time" the moment the fly ball is caught. Then enforce the balk. Example (2): If a batted ball follows the balk and results in a ground out on a previous runner at the base to which he would be entitled because of the balk, call "Time" the moment the out is made. Then enforce the balk. If; however the batter reaches first and all runners advance at least one base on play following the balk, play proceeds without reference to the balk.

3. If the balk is followed by a pitch that is caught by the catcher call "Time" the moment the catcher catches the ball. Then enforce the balk. (Note exception in ball four situations covered in case 5 below.)

4. If the balk is followed by a pick-off throw to a base that is caught by a fielder call "Time" the moment the fielder catches the ball. Then enforce the balk.

5. If the balk is followed by ball four delivered to the batter and is caught by the catcher call "Time" and enforce the balk unless all runners advance one base because of ball four. In that situation, play proceeds without reference to the balk.

6. If the balk is followed by a pitch which strikes the batter call "Time" the moment the pitch strikes the batter. Then enforce the balk unless the hit batsman forces all other runners to advance one base, in which case play proceeds without reference to the balk.

7. If the balk is followed by a wild throw to a base, the Approved Ruling of Official Rule 8.05 provides that the runner may advance beyond the base to which he is entitled at his own risk. In that situation, the umpire shall call the balk in the usual manner but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and a fielder is in possession of the ball in the
infield).

8. If the balk is followed by a wild pitch, the Approved Ruling of Official Rule 8.05 provides that the runner may advance beyond the base to which he is entitled at his own risk. In that situation, the umpire shall call the balk in the usual manner but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and a fielder is in possession of the ball in the infield).
Note that even if the runner advances to or beyond the base to which he is entitled because of a wild pitch following a balk, the balk is still "acknowledged." That is, the pitch is nullified and the batter will resume his at bat with the count on him when the balk occurred unless: (a) The wild pitch was ball four on which all runners advanced one base; or (b) The wild pitch was strike three on which the batter and all other runners advanced one base. In both situations (a) and (b) above, play proceeds without reference to the balk, since all
runners (including the batter-runner) advanced one base on the pitch following the balk.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3appleshigh
Level 3 exam
I didn't know I had a fellow OBA umpire on this board!

Where are you from???

Don'tyou love all the questions they hint at on the exam?

ie - no visible jewelry.... haha, I guess they are trying to get the point across.

Thanks for all the input guys, that helps clear some issues up.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

LOL

I'm from Georgina, and yes the exam was pretty funny, if you read all the Blue notes on the Baseball ontario website many are qustions on the exam.

LOL

Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, your right Rich. My Bad.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by 3appleshigh
I'm from Georgina, and yes the exam was pretty funny, if you read all the Blue notes on the Baseball ontario website many are qustions on the exam.

LOL

They play baseball in Georgina? LOL... just kidding

I think I have umpired with someone from Georgina, but I can't remember who it was.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

There are a couple of OBA umpires out here mostly level 3s and a couple of 4s. I myself am from Ottawa where there is only OBA teams two midget two bantam which neither plays in an OBA league.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Got my marks

In the mail today. Gotta 92%, not to shabby and I ready for another season. Also jut p/u an Easton VRS Helmet I'm looking so forward to trying her out.