The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

One more question, if R1 tries to steal 2nd, and after the pitch is received the batter gets in the way of the throw to 2B, does it matter if it's on purpose, meaning does the umpire have to think he did it intentionally? I've been told by an umpire once that it didn't matter, but frankly I'm beginning to wonder, as I've seen it happen 3 times since my son has been playing JV baseball, and I've yet to see it called. My take is if the batter ends up with his body somewhere in an area above the plate not allowing F2 to throw to 2B clearly it should be interference, the batter has a right to his spot in the batter's box and that's it. What do you guys think?
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRSooner
One more question, if R1 tries to steal 2nd, and after the pitch is received the batter gets in the way of the throw to 2B, does it matter if it's on purpose, meaning does the umpire have to think he did it intentionally? I've been told by an umpire once that it didn't matter, but frankly I'm beginning to wonder, as I've seen it happen 3 times since my son has been playing JV baseball, and I've yet to see it called. My take is if the batter ends up with his body somewhere in an area above the plate not allowing F2 to throw to 2B clearly it should be interference, the batter has a right to his spot in the batter's box and that's it. What do you guys think?
Intent has nothing to do with it. The batter must be in control of his swing.

This doesn't get called as often as it should, unfortunately.

--Rich
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

It's one of the great acting jobs, for the batter to appear as if he did not mean to interfere. If it looks like interference it is, but don't be anal about it. If a batter swings at a low outside pitch he is going to appear to be in the catcher's way on a throw to 2B. The umpire has to make a judgement on interference.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I agree in a way, there is something to be said for protecting your baserunner by swinging, but I've seen it happen twice where a batter went as far as ending up on top of home plate after the swing and the ump didn't call it either time.