The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Fed Rules. Bases loaded with two outs. Batter hits a high popup in front of the plate. Runner on third interferes with the catcher who is attempting to make the catch. The ball falls untouched and ends up in foul territory. My question is who leads off the next inning? The batter who hit the popup or the next batter in the lineup?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Because the runner interfeared with the catcher catching the ball, I would declare the batter runner out for the third out. Therefore the next batter would be up next inning.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu
Fed Rules. Bases loaded with two outs. Batter hits a high popup in front of the plate. Runner on third interferes with the catcher who is attempting to make the catch. The ball falls untouched and ends up in foul territory. My question is who leads off the next inning? The batter who hit the popup or the next batter in the lineup?

Thanks in advance for your help.
If the interference was in foul territory, the batter is out.

If the interference was in fair territory, the R3 is out, and BR is "awarded" first on a FC.

Either way, the next batter in the line-up leads off the next inning.

You'd have a different result under OBR.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

What's the different result in OBR? Runner out in both cases?
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
What's the different result in OBR? Runner out in both cases?
Yes.

The FED rule used to be this way. Supposedly, it was changed so that R3 couldn't interfere on a foul fly with two outs to have a "good hitter" bat again next inning.

Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Question Case Book

I found the following passage on page 52 in the case book:

7.4.1 SITUATION H: R1 is on third and R2 is on first. B3 hits a foul fly ball near the third baseline (a) with less than two outs or (b) with two outs. R1 interferes with F5 in his attempt to catch the ball. RULING: The ball is dead immediately. In both (a) and (b), B3 is called out because of R1's interference.

Does this sound like what I should use to show the umpire that he was incorrect in allowing the same batter to lead off the next inning?

Thanks.

[Edited by harmbu on Mar 24th, 2004 at 09:55 AM]
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Case Book

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu
I found the following passage on page 52 in the case book:

7.4.1 SITUATION H: R1 is on third and R2 is on first. B3 hits a foul fly ball near the third baseline (a) with less than two outs or (b) with two outs. R1 interferes with F5 in his attempt to catch the ball. RULING: The ball is dead immediately. In both (a) and (b), B3 is called out because of R1's interference.

Does this sound like what I should use to show the umpire that he was incorrect in allowing the same batter to lead off the next inning?

Thanks.

[Edited by harmbu on Mar 24th, 2004 at 09:55 AM]
If you think the umpire is willing to listen and learn, that's the case play with which to start.

Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Listen and Learn

Much to my surprise, the umpire approached me at tonight's game a said, "Hey Coach, I messed up last night." The only reason I was surprised was because he seemed really confrontational the night before. It surprised me that he actually went home and looked it up. That gesture earned respect from me.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Just to be sure, in Fed:

In determining fair or foul, we go by where the interference occurred, not by the position of the ball at the time of the interference or where it lands or where it rolls.

And once the interference has occurred, whether or not the ball is caught is immaterial.

This from the J/R, which of course applies to OBR only:

Bases loaded, no outs, 0-0 count. The batter hits a fly ball that will come down along the third base line between third and home. The plate umpire signals "infield fly if fair!" R3 then interferes with the third baseman on his attempted return to his base. The ball (a) is caught over foul territory, (b) is uncaught and becomes foul, (c) is caught over fair territory, or (d) is uncaught and becomes fair. The ball is dead when the interference occurs and R3 is out. However, even though the ball is dead, the batter/batter-runner's status is determined by whether the ball would have been fair or foul. In (a) and (b) the batter goes back to bat with a strike added to the count. In (c) and (d) the batter-runner was out on the infield fly before the interference occurred; R2 and R1 return to their respective bases with two outs.

Apparently in OBR fair/foul is still an open question after the interference.

By the way, if anyone wants an example of careful, accurate, precise, unambiguous writing, check out the J/R.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

What is the difference between this play and one where a ground ball hits a runner from 1st going to 2nd with two outs? The runner is out and the batter for the next inning is the one following the one who hit the ball that hit the runner.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
What is the difference between this play and one where a ground ball hits a runner from 1st going to 2nd with two outs? The runner is out and the batter for the next inning is the one following the one who hit the ball that hit the runner.

In the original play, the ball was foul -- the B1 hadn't become BR. So, if the runner was out, B1 would bat "again" next inning. That's why FED makes B1 out.

In your play, B1 had become BR -- his turn at bat is over, and no matter who is declared out (R2 in your play), then next batter leads off the following inning.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:44pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
harmbu

You are a coach I am assuming from reading the posts. You would probably be surprised at the number of officials, at least at the varsity level and up, that go home and look things up after every game. We may be pretty darn sure we got it right, which I'm sure that official did, but he thought about it and looked it up.

I know if something sneaks up on me I look it up. My first year of umpireing I was working a sophomore game. I was scared to death that entire year because I had been doing basketball for seven years and you always had a partner around to help you out, baseball we aren't so luck at the lower levels. Never even had anyone look at me unfortunately. Anyway, coach asked for a courtsey runner and he put one in, the kid however had already ran for another player in the same inning. There were no complaints, but after the game the other coach asked if it was legal, I honestly told him that I didn't know for sure and that I would look it up. It was a double header and the coach and I were in the dugout looking at rule books trying to find it somewhere where is said one way or the other. We never found anything that day, but I continued to look. Hope this made sense, I feel like I was just rambling on.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

I usually score pretty good on FED exam. But, if something happens during a game I was not sure about I look it up when I get home. Then, if it happens again I am positive.

Last time this happened, was when a batter squared to bunt, he bunted the ball, but it came right back up and hit the bat again before he left the box. I am in the field and I call FOUL. Catcher picked up what he thought was a fair ball and threw to first. Coach argues that the ball was in fair territory and I really should read the rules. Clearly, since I called FOUL, it remained FOUL, but I looked it up when I got home. If it happens again I will have a different comebacker than I did this time.