The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Are they good for an amateur umpire's rule interpretations?

Which version is the best?

Thanks!!!

SHAWN

Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Jaska Roder

Yes! Excellent for any level of umpire. In my third year now of umpiring at a serious level, its very helpful. They only have one version now. They have combined the two. I write them when I got mine, and Rick Roder explained that they just have the one edition now (RDE).
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

J/R is an absolutely great tool for serious umpires at any level. I particularly like the electronic edition because of all the internal links and references. But I have the hard copy also for late night study and resolving problems at the field (in post-game discussions with my fellow umpires) and in chapter meetings.

Just be aware that J/R is written from the OBR respective (starting with OBR and citing differences in other books).

I also highly recommend the BRD by my friend, Officiating.com Senior Editor Carl Childress. BRD starts with FED and cites differences with other codes. At least that is the way it seems to me.

Both are excellent and highly useful tools in any serious umpires arsenal.

BUT . . . The problem of the pitcher making a play using a multicolored glove (see thread) was inadequately addressed in either of these excellent books. Just proves that there is always something new in the great game of baseball.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Both the J/R and the BRD are terrific. To me, they're essential. I'd add the PBUC, too. All three books get you thinking about interesting wrinkles that the rule books just don't cover. The books are particularly useful for dealing with interference/obstruction, awards, and appeals.

As for whether they are helpful for an amateur umpire's rule interpretations—definitely. Even if you do only LL or even softball (which the books of course don't cover in any way), you still find yourself asking, "How would I call that play?" The answer will often be different for LL or softball, but it gets you thinking about the question just the same.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Book is very good with OBR! Does have some issues with NFHS rules not being totally accurate. Think next edition will address those issues.