The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to know opinions on your favorite leg guards. I currently wear Gerry Davis guards. They're OK, but I think I'm going to go with something different this spring.

I am looking at UMP SHINS and also the Honig Collegiate model.

Opinions please. I especially wnat somehting that does not catch my pants above my knee after every pitch.

Thanks
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have worn Douglas shin guards for the last six years and have just ordered a new pair.

They provide excellent protection, work well with both high top and low top plate shoes. Equally important, for me, they are not overly bulky as many have become and fit well under plate pants and combo pants.

You can spend $112 to $129 for them from umpire suppliers, or buy them direct from Douglas for $85.

http://www.douglaspads.com/pc/viewCa...p?idCategory=6
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
I would like to know opinions on your favorite leg guards. I currently wear Gerry Davis guards. They're OK, but I think I'm going to go with something different this spring.

I am looking at UMP SHINS and also the Honig Collegiate model.

Opinions please. I especially wnat somehting that does not catch my pants above my knee after every pitch.

Thanks
I've used the Diamond single knee shin guards for years. Nothing gets through. I've tried Ump Shins and if all you do is LL than that's okay. But if you do HS or higher, you better get real shin guards. By the way, Diamond & Douglass make most of the real shin guards out there and companies like +POS have their name put on them. Look them over then by from the real maker(s)... you'll be glad that you did.

Seeing as you are a Davis customer already, here's the link to his site and paged to the shin guards.

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=LG

[Edited by ozzy6900 on Dec 16th, 2003 at 07:02 AM]
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Shin Guards

Dear Mr. Illini_Ref -

I had a pair of those Honigs and got rid of them. I found them to be hot and uncomfortable (They have a vinyl type of backing that doesn't breath at all) and they did not conform to my legs too well. I never liked them from the day I got them.

So I solved that problem and I got a pair of West Vest 3409's. They are a bit heavier and bulkier than the Honings but they were far more comfortable, fit better, and I think even cooler in hot weather - the coolmax padded lining is very nice (and it is removable and washable). They also gave me alot better protection. Cost about $20 more than Honigs but I am much, much happier. I removed the metatarsal protector so my pants stopped riding up on the knee cap.

I have let a couple of my umpire buddies try them and after the game they went out and bought a pair. Everyone has a preference and I am sure the other brands people suggest are good but I really like my West Vests. I paid $99 with shipping for mine (not much more than the Douglas' when you add shipping).