The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2000, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ok. The latest stuff

There is a fix for preventing reproduction of the Annotated on disk. However, Jim has no plans to make the disk available to anyone, including the students at his one week and 5 week school. Why? Maybe he will tell me when I see him in a couple of days. Or, he won't.

He also will not make his 800 page printed manual available to anyone in the near future.

Maybe that has something to do with the re-write of OBR in the next year. I don't know.

I have the hard copy of the Annotated and I have it on my hard drive. I would love to re-produce it and give it to you, but I won't. I have too much respect for Jim Evans.

I also have Jaksa/Roder/Brinkman. I asked Evans about it and he said that it was a worthy effort by a couple of Joe's students. But!! There were enough factual errors in that document as to make it unusable. None of the Pro umpires I have talked to even acknowledge that the document even exists.

Personally, I like J/R. It is a giant case book. Go to a pro school, however. You won't hear viable/non-viable, relaxed/non-relaxed, etc., although it makes sense.

A question for Brinkman grads; Do you use J/R to explain your interps?

Now that Evans bought Brinkman out, does Jim own the rights to J/R? Does the copyright belong to Jaksa? Roder? Brinkman? Nobody? Questions I hope to have answered within the next few days. Knowing Jimmy, probably not, though.

Dave
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I fear we've all been taken in by a ploy to get us to visit Jim's Academy web site. Roland (whoever this guy is) has been a mouthpiece advertising that site since he arrived. He certainly hurts the reputation of Jim's Academy when he does stuff like that. It cheapens one of the best schools of professional umpiring. I am certainly disappointed with the unprofessionalism of this one individual, either real or made up, who acted on Jim's Academy's behalf. It will be very hard to convince me that this was an act by an individual, and not a calculated free marketing ploy.

Now I expect him to post an explanation as to why he claimed to absolutely know that the JEA was available to the public. I hope he sets the record straight.

Let's all hope it was an honest mistake. Somehow I doubt it. Too bad for Jim's Academy.

Anyone know Harry and Hunter's number?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Jim:
you might try - [email protected]

Also, it seems awfully odd that Jim Evans Academy doesn't answer the phones, return messages; or, respond to e-mails. They supposedly have a seminar coming up in the spring in Ontario, Canada to which I've been trying to get some direct info. But, nobody seems to be in the office - heck of a way to run a business.
Now this little ploy........

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
I fear we've all been taken in by a ploy to get us to visit Jim's Academy web site. Roland (whoever this guy is) has been a mouthpiece advertising that site since he arrived. He certainly hurts the reputation of Jim's Academy when he does stuff like that. It cheapens one of the best schools of professional umpiring. I am certainly disappointed with the unprofessionalism of this one individual, either real or made up, who acted on Jim's Academy's behalf. It will be very hard to convince me that this was an act by an individual, and not a calculated free marketing ploy.

Now I expect him to post an explanation as to why he claimed to absolutely know that the JEA was available to the public. I hope he sets the record straight.

Let's all hope it was an honest mistake. Somehow I doubt it. Too bad for Jim's Academy.

Anyone know Harry and Hunter's number?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
Jim: you might try - [email protected]
Also, it seems awfully odd that Jim Evans Academy doesn't answer the phones, return messages; or, respond to e-mails. They supposedly have a seminar coming up in the spring in Ontario, Canada to which I've been trying to get some direct info. But, nobody seems to be in the office - heck of a way to run a business.
Rog, et. al.:

Rog: If you're really interested in a Canadian clinic, you might be allowed to attend a three-day affair in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, on May 19-21, 2001. I know the chief clinician very well since his name is Carl Childress.

For more details, costs, etc., email Blaine Gallant:
[email protected].

I'm not sure if there are restrictions. It's a required clinic for Canadian officials, so space may be limited.

But as the NCAA guys say: "Hey, ya never know!"
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Carl:
How is it that YOU always seem to be on top of these things ; - ) I'll send Blaine Gallant an e-mail; and, why does his name sound familiar????
Being clear up on the northern border does put some limitations on getting to most of the clinics - which are always in the warm sunny locals.
We need to get some diehard to put one on in the north when the winds are 40 mph, temp 35 degrees and snowflakes are flying all around..... NOT!!!

Rog, et. al.:

Rog: If you're really interested in a Canadian clinic, you might be allowed to attend a three-day affair in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, on May 19-21, 2001. I know the chief clinician very well since his name is Carl Childress.

For more details, costs, etc., email Blaine Gallant:
[email protected].

I'm not sure if there are restrictions. It's a required clinic for Canadian officials, so space may be limited.

But as the NCAA guys say: "Hey, ya never know!" [/B][/QUOTE]
Old Thu Nov 16, 2000, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Shot in the foot?

Well, if what was recently stated by Ralph Nelson becomes reality in 2001, we can all have a nice newly revised "MLB" umpire manual (so much for all the others).

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Quote:
Originally posted by Rog

I think there's a Desert Classic going on this week, and I know I've seen before when those guys are out doing a clinic, there is NOBODY at home. I guess they're ultimately a pretty small outfit, catering to a pretty small clientele, so it doesn't pay for them to, for instance, have clerical staff manning the offices and phones all the time.

My guess is they'll be back in the office next week and will catch up with all the emails and voicemails we've been leaving this week, about the alleged availability of some JEA's.

Closed Thread