The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

In the August 2000 Referee magazine on page 50 there is a list of 5 ways for a batter runner to be called out while running in the three foot runner's lane. Number 4 says a batter runner can be called out for retreating toward
home to delay or avoid a tag by a fielder. It reference rule 8-4-1h. I never heard of this, is it true?

Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy anyone have a large towel I can use...

now there's a lesson learned the hard way - read, re-read, and read somemore.....

You read correctly.....in short "it's desertion", J/R - B-2(c)

[Edited by Rog on Nov 29th, 2000 at 08:21 AM]
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Van Milligen
In the August 2000 Referee magazine on page 50 there is a list of 5 ways for a batter runner to be called out while running in the three foot runner's lane. Number 4 says a batter runner can be called out for retreating toward
home to delay or avoid a tag by a fielder. It reference rule 8-4-1h. I never heard of this, is it true?

The rule reference given betrays that this is a FED (NFHS) ruling. It does NOT apply to games played strictly under OBR and its official interpretations. Under OBR the batter-runner may retreat toward home so long as he/she doesn't actually reach home plate. If the batter-runner does reach home plate, for any reason, he/she should be called out for refusal to advance [OBR 4.09 PENALTY].

I don't believe the Jaksa/Roder concept of "desertion" [Chapter 6, B(2)(c)], which is derived from the OBR anyway, can be applied to a batter-runner who is actually retreating along the base path. It only applies to a batter-runner who leaves the base path before reaching first base i.e. has "deserted" the line of advance or retreat.

This type of situation (retreating to avoid a tag) will normally occur in a run down. It is not appropriate under OBR to call out a batter-runner in a run down while that batter-runner remains on the base path, irrespective of the direction of travel at any given point in time. The defense can end the situation without penalty at any time by simply tagging first base for an out under OBR 6.05(j), so I'm afraid I can't see the FED rationale for apparently making this ruling unless they do NOT have an equivalent provision.

Cheers,

Warren Willson

[Edited by Warren Willson on Nov 28th, 2000 at 10:31 PM]
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by David Van Milligen
David:

This is a baseball board. The situation you describe from that "other magazine" is softball. I don't know from softball, but....

In NFHS baseball, it is legal for a batter-runner to retreat toward home as long as he does not touch or run beyond the plate. (FED CB Play 8.1.1a)

Be sure you identify the sport you're discussing.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Smile

DVM - I told you you'd have a reply in short order! Carl knows the book better than anyone I know -

Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

retreating toward home

Thank you for your reponses. Carl was right, I misread the article, it was softball not baseball. Thank you again for your help.