The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 16, 2019, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

2-Man Umpire System - B-position

Question regarding the B position for a 2-man system.

Just trying to understand clarity from more senior officials. While the book states to be in the "B" position (runner on first only, otherwise you're in the "C" position). WHY can I not just always be in the A position for no runners on base, and then C position for all other criteria?

With a runner on first, an attempt to steal second with umpire in C position is a much better angle (right?). And i would assume the B position is to be closer to first base for pick off attempt, but i have found being in the C position is only ~10 feet further with the same angle, and i do not see any benefit. Is there another reason for the B position besides pickoff attempt?

Just trying to get some feedback on why C position isn't preferred, especially on an attempted steal of 2nd base. Thanks!
Old Fri Aug 16, 2019, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

The two-ump system is about compromises. That 10, 15, 20 feet (remember that you can continue another couple of steps after you've made your call) can make all the difference in selling a bang-bang call at first, especially on a double play.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2019, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

With 2 umpires, I am also in the B position for the 1st and 3rd situation, first because the picoff at 1B is more likely than the pickoff at 3B, and second because I will have responsibilities for the batter-runner on a batted ball to the outfield, since HP will be rotating to 3rd to make the ruling on R1 advancing to 3rd.

Even with 3 or 4 umpires, the inside umpire should be in the B position rather than the C position with a runner on 1st, because B (deep B in 3 or 4-ump mechanics) allows the umpire to get in the wedge better than C does on a steal of 2nd base. As I have learned at MAC-UCU 3-person camps, the U3 (for 4-umpire crews, the U2) is near the dirt-grass line on the 1st base side of the mound, where he can take 2 steps or so to the right to get in the wedge.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2019, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
With a runner on first, an attempt to steal second with umpire in C position is a much better angle (right?).
Wrong.

Plus, the double-play pivot is easier (less movement). Not that you can't get there from C.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2019, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
With 2 umpires, I am also in the B position for the 1st and 3rd situation, first because the picoff at 1B is more likely than the pickoff at 3B, and second because I will have responsibilities for the batter-runner on a batted ball to the outfield, since HP will be rotating to 3rd to make the ruling on R1 advancing to 3rd.

Even with 3 or 4 umpires, the inside umpire should be in the B position rather than the C position with a runner on 1st, because B (deep B in 3 or 4-ump mechanics) allows the umpire to get in the wedge better than C does on a steal of 2nd base. As I have learned at MAC-UCU 3-person camps, the U3 (for 4-umpire crews, the U2) is near the dirt-grass line on the 1st base side of the mound, where he can take 2 steps or so to the right to get in the wedge.
Would anyone like to be in deep C for this play in 3/4 man?

https://www.facebook.com/chris.gregg...5221946529405/

In 2 man if you have the mobility you can drift back with the throw when you are in B and be in great position for view of the play at 2B.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2019, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've always maintained that position C is preferred over B with R1 as you typically don't have to worry about being blocked by the runner on a steal of second or a pick at first.

We're always told that angle is better than distance and without question, the angle in C is better than B on both a steal of second or a pick off at first.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2019, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
I've always maintained that position C is preferred over B with R1 as you typically don't have to worry about being blocked by the runner on a steal of second or a pick at first.

We're always told that angle is better than distance and without question, the angle in C is better than B on both a steal of second or a pick off at first.
No, it's not.