The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Hands & Bat (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/104613-hands-bat.html)

fredhjr Sat Jun 01, 2019 03:34pm

Hands & Bat

USSSA Baseball, 14U Batter (not swinging and not in the strike zone) is hit on the hands by a pitch. Ball goes into fair territory where it is fielded and thrown to 1B. Batter is called out. I did not understand this and asked the plate umpire between innings if the batter had swung on a third strike and was hit. "No", he replied, "he was thrown out at 1B."

The ball should have been dead and the runner should have been awarded 1B, correct?

Rich Ives Sat Jun 01, 2019 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredhjr (Post 1033148)
USSSA Baseball, 14U Batter (not swinging and not in the strike zone) is hit on the hands by a pitch. Ball goes into fair territory where it is fielded and thrown to 1B. Batter is called out. I did not understand this and asked the plate umpire between innings if the batter had swung on a third strike and was hit. "No", he replied, "he was thrown out at 1B."

The ball should have been dead and the runner should have been awarded 1B, correct?

Why didn't you ask at the moment? Why didn't you protest?

bob jenkins Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredhjr (Post 1033148)

As described, yes.

Maybe the umpire had something different. Maybe he fell for the "hands are part of the bat" myth.

fredhjr Sun Jun 02, 2019 08:17am

The umpire did not say the "hands are part of the bat", but I suspect that was the thinking.Why did I not protest? I was a fan, not a coach. Although this was a grandson's team, I am not personally acquainted with the coaches. Also, it was an inning or so after the action that I got the explanation.

thumpferee Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09am

Seems like something that has happened, at least, 10 times in my games this season. Twice as many times than I've seen in my whole career. And, 5-6 times the ball was fair!

Could this be the case here?

Rich Ives Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredhjr (Post 1033155)
The umpire did not say the "hands are part of the bat", but I suspect that was the thinking.Why did I not protest? I was a fan, not a coach. Although this was a grandson's team, I am not personally acquainted with the coaches. Also, it was an inning or so after the action that I got the explanation.

Go to the next game. Let him know what to do next time.

Middleman Wed Jun 05, 2019 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1033152)
As described, yes.

Maybe the umpire had something different. Maybe he fell for the "hands are part of the bat" myth.

And maybe the umpire ruled that the pitch hit the knob of the bat, not the hand. Maybe?

thumpferee Wed Jun 05, 2019 08:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Middleman (Post 1033227)
And maybe the umpire ruled that the pitch hit the knob of the bat, not the hand. Maybe?

This is what I was hinting to!