The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Question

Hey again, it's been a while since I posted- glad to be back!
Here's my question-
How many of you from 'meterologically-challenged' areas officiate "Fall Ball" or "Winter Ball", the leagues that run from Sep. to Nov.?
I live in Canada, and we have a few tournaments, but no more leagues that play into the snow, like we used to.
I have a tourney this weekend (our thanksgiving) at the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame, but that's the end of my season. I fear I'm going to go into withdrawl! How do those of you without late ball, like me, deal?

Bainer.

[Edited by Bainer on Oct 9th, 2003 at 04:39 PM]
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Frankwag
Smile

I have a fall league here by me that runs til the beginning of November. I'm in NJ. It's pretty laid back and the people seem not to argue as much and nitpick like in the spring and the summer. Maybe the cooler weather calms them......
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

We've got fall ball from 11 and 12 year olds up to high schoolers. All of them, including high school age, have a two innings max on the pitcher. So we usually get a few good innings and then a few innings with lots of runs.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

we got a horrible over 30 league in the fall, I resigned this season....too much adult whiners who should not be playing....kids leagues are now instructional and not competetive( PONY rules, 10's moving up next season playing on bigger diamond, 8's seeing pitching....) Not for me
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:07pm
Veteran College Umpire

In central Illinois the Junior High Schools play their baseball season, which runs until the first of October. All of the Junior Colleges play a Fall intra-squad series of some kind, as well as some games against other JC's. Many of the colleges play their laid-back alumni games - we did one in Hawaiian shirts, just for fun). In any event, September and October are our months to wind down after the busy Spring and Summer. Hibernation (defined as a beer and a La-Z-Boy more than one night a week) can be a wonderful thing. It also allows us to reintroduce ourselves to those other people who live in our house (defined as family). Yep, boredom will set in. But it's always followed at some point around the first of the year by anticipation. Ahhh!
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
All of the Junior Colleges play a Fall intra-squad series of some kind, as well as some games against other JC's. Many of the colleges play their laid-back alumni games - we did one in Hawaiian shirts, just for fun).
i just finished up the college (naia) fall league i was working. i did 1 or 2 intersquad games during the week and a double header on saturday or sunday for the past 5 or so weeks. the games were semi-laid back just to get guys playing time and such, but they were there to win as well.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down She's gone gone gone

I haven't been in my gear for a couple of months... BUMMER!!!

Now I'm starting to become excited for basketball. I'm also considering attendance of Jim Evans' camp next month in Arizona. I'll see how my schedule works out - that could hold off a great share of withdrawls.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I live in the metro DC area and have games scheduled through mid November. The high schools have games using relaxed FED rules, and there are several travel leagues using a variety of different rules.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
In Michigan, only a few of the D-1 and D-2 colleges play a fall schedule.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
typical rain is all we deal with at this point in Oklahoma (which can be as bad as cold/snow..lol) but we have a wooden bat league that a number of jr high and high school kids play. It is a great league as it is laid back. Some of the high schools use it for development. Kids get a kick out of it as it is wood bats only.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
The Kids play fall ball here (Western Quebec). Ages 10-16 but we play 3 pitch. Must faster game keeps them hopping on these freezing evenings.