The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 31, 2000, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Our association is redesigning our ratings program for members as we feel it has produced only limited success. I am on a committee to investigate other rating programs and would like to hear from anyone who can define the system used by their association to rate and evaluate its members.
Interested parties can investigate the system used by the New Hampshire Baseball Umpires Association at http://www.nhbua.org/evaluati.htm
Thanks for the help
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Ah the rating system. This is one issue that comes up each and every year at the HS association meetings. There is no UTOPIA here.

Here's how our system works.
1. Each Umpire rates their partners

2.The coaches also rate the umpires.

3.You have to work a minimum number of games I believe at least 5 to be considered for promotion to the next level.

4. The president or his assistant will attend certain games and rate the umpires for that day, especially for the new guys.

All these factors are waited and you receieve a numerical rating. A rating of 1 would mean you are eligable to umpire all levels. By all levels I mean Modified right up through Varsity.

In reality, AVAILABILITY more than ABILITY gets one to the next level. If you are always available, for some reason the association looks favorable on this and you will get plenty of work.

The down side to all of this is:
If a HS coach does not want you to umpire any more of their games, guess what? You WILL NOT umpire any more of their games. I personally do not like this but that's the way it is. Hey life isn't fair either.

The main reason I got HS certified was for Summer / Fall Ball. In order for one to umpire in the Summer / Fall, one has to be certified. There is plenty of Summer / Fall Ball and the games start at 6PM and under the lights so at least for me availability isn't a problem when it comes to Summer / Fall Ball.

Pete Booth

Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I've tried for a couple of years to get something in writing from our local association regarding how evaluations are performed; but, for some reason it keeps getting overlooked. I'd be real interested to see how other associations deal with this matter!
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Bob,

Your web site on evaluations and ratings looks great!

Old Sun Nov 05, 2000, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Rating Umpires

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
I've tried for a couple of years to get something in writing from our local association regarding how evaluations are performed; but, for some reason it keeps getting overlooked. I'd be real interested to see how other associations deal with this matter!
Rog,
Don't stop trying. The information is someplace, even if it is torted in the head of on of the officers of the association.
You can see New Hampshire's system at http://www.nhbua.org/evaluati.html
Good luck!