The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NFHS new Case Play (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/103322-nfhs-new-case-play.html)

Middleman Fri Jan 05, 2018 06:02pm

NFHS new Case Play

*8.2.7 SITUATION B:

The leadoff hitter has a 3-2 count. There is a check-swing situation and the plate umpire calls ball four. The base umpire reverses the call on appeal and calls strike three. B1 overruns first base. In (a), the defense tags the batter/runner returning to first base. In (b, the defense tags the batter/runner after the batter/runner attempts to go to second base before returning to first base.

RULING: In (a), the batter/runner is safe. In (b), the batter/runner is out.

Without reading anything into the case, and without making any assumptions, and without adding anything that isn't there, can anyone tell me why in (a) the batter/runner is safe? I'd say he's out on strikes.

Rich Ives Fri Jan 05, 2018 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Middleman (Post 1014229)
*8.2.7 SITUATION B:

The leadoff hitter has a 3-2 count. There is a check-swing situation and the plate umpire calls ball four. The base umpire reverses the call on appeal and calls strike three. B1 overruns first base. In (a), the defense tags the batter/runner returning to first base. In (b, the defense tags the batter/runner after the batter/runner attempts to go to second base before returning to first base.

RULING: In (a), the batter/runner is safe. In (b), the batter/runner is out.

Without reading anything into the case, and without making any assumptions, and without adding anything that isn't there, can anyone tell me why in (a) the batter/runner is safe? I'd say he's out on strikes.

And why was the ball at 1B?

scrounge Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57pm

Sloppily written (shocker)...this case only makes sense if the final pitch is uncaught on the fly.

umpjim Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 1014235)
Sloppily written (shocker)...this case only makes sense if the final pitch is uncaught on the fly.

“On the fly” makes your post a little sloppily written at least to me. But we know what they and you meant.

FormerUmp Mon Jan 08, 2018 07:55am

I'm not sure what the point of this case play is.

Isn't the B/R on a uncaught third strike always allowed to overrun 1st base? Wouldn't he always be liable to be put out if instead of simply overrunning, he made an attempt at second?

I don't see what this case play is attempting to clarify.

CT1 Mon Jan 08, 2018 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormerUmp (Post 1014328)
I'm not sure what the point of this case play is.

Isn't the B/R on a uncaught third strike always allowed to overrun 1st base? Wouldn't he always be liable to be put out if instead of simply overrunning, he made an attempt at second?

I don't see what this case play is attempting to clarify.

Up until this year, under NFHS rules, B/R was liable to be tagged out if he overran first base on a base on balls. That's no longer the case.

The problem typically arose when we had a check-swing with a 3-2 count on a pitch in the dirt that was originally ruled a swing (strike 3) but was changed to ball 4 on appeal.

PS: I've never seen this happen, probably because the defense had no idea that this was a rule and never tagged the B/R past 1st base. I also suspect that if that had happened, very few umpires would have known that rule either.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 08, 2018 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Middleman (Post 1014229)

You can not "say he's out on strikes," without also "reading anything into the case, and without making any assumptions, and without adding anything that isn't there."

Your point that the case could be better written is valid.

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Jan 08, 2018 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1014329)
Up until this year, under NFHS rules, B/R was liable to be tagged out if he overran first base on a base on balls. That's no longer the case.

The problem typically arose when we had a check-swing with a 3-2 count on a pitch in the dirt that was originally ruled a swing (strike 3) but was changed to ball 4 on appeal.

PS: I've never seen this happen, probably because the defense had no idea that this was a rule and never tagged the B/R past 1st base. I also suspect that if that had happened, very few umpires would have known that rule either.

You can't change it to a ball if it was originally ruled a strike

Welpe Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 1014338)
You can't change it to a ball if it was originally ruled a strike

That scenario was presented by Kyle McNeely this weekend at the TASO State Baseball Meeting as an example for why the change was made.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 1014348)
That scenario was presented by Kyle McNeely this weekend at the TASO State Baseball Meeting as an example for why the change was made.

If so, then he was wrong, too.

The usual scenario is that the pitch is called a ball, but BR runs anyway just in case it's reversed. When it's not, BR was liable to be tagged out if he overran.

Rich Ives Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1014333)
You can not "say he's out on strikes," without also "reading anything into the case, and without making any assumptions, and without adding anything that isn't there."

Your point that the case could be better written is valid.

The case said it was changed to strike 3. The case did NOT say it was uncaught. So saying out on strikes is true unless you read into the play and assume that it was uncaught.

umpjim Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:05pm

Quote:

And nobody questioned it?
The 2 most common situations would be the 3-2 check swing on a ball in the dirt or dropped appealed to a ball and a wild pitch ball four. There is also the casual step past 1B where the B-R would be at risk also if anyone knew the rule before the change.

Rich Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26pm

Quote:

What scenario -- changing a strike to a ball on appeal?

Please tell me that isn't so.

Welpe Tue Jan 09, 2018 01:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1014349)

The usual scenario is that the pitch is called a ball, but BR runs anyway just in case it's reversed. When it's not, BR was liable to be tagged out if he overran.

Honestly, I'm probably not remembering correctly what he said and this is it. So I'll withdraw my comment for now. I will send him an email for clarification.

bwburke94 Tue Jan 09, 2018 02:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1014352)
The case said it was changed to strike 3. The case did NOT say it was uncaught. So saying out on strikes is true unless you read into the play and assume that it was uncaught.

Yet at the same time, saying safe is true unless you read into the play and assume that it was caught.