The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Official Scorebook Record (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102924-official-scorebook-record.html)

BSBAL18 Fri Sep 15, 2017 08:15am

Official Scorebook Record

Interesting situation....

Runner on 2nd, batter hits a lazy fly ball behind the pitchers mound. F6 dives for the ball and i call a trap (Call safe, point to ground a few times, repeat safe call). BR thinks he is out (since no one cares to check the umpire's sign) and peels off before getting to first base and goes directly to the dugout. R2 is now on third, and since he saw BR go back into dugout, takes off back to 2nd. haha

So end of play, R2 remains at 2nd, and i told the scorebook scorer that since the runner did not run to first base, it is *not* a single and then out-by-abandonment. But then i didnt know what to tell him how to score it...

A) if the runner had got to first.. i assume single and then ?what? for the out?
B) Since runner never touched first, i assume NO single,,, but then ?what? for the out record?

Would that just be counted as a 3-unassisted? I searched Google and didnt find too much on it.

bob jenkins Fri Sep 15, 2017 09:48am

The scoring rules do not seem to cover "abandonment." Then again, only a runner who has reached first can abandon. ;)

Other scoring rules credit F2 with the putout when a runner refuses to advance to first, and credit the nearest fielder when a runner is out for passing, etc.

So, I'd go ahead and give F2 the putout in your situation.

LRZ Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:18am

Unless there were implications for a run counting or a similar issue, why would you, as the umpire, care how it is scored?

bob jenkins Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1009157)
Unless there were implications for a run counting or a similar issue, why would you, as the umpire, care how it is scored?

Because some of us have a natural curiosity. Because sometimes we get asked by "mom the scorekeeper" and it's nice to be able to give an answer.

umpjim Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1009152)
Interesting situation....

Runner on 2nd, batter hits a lazy fly ball behind the pitchers mound. F6 dives for the ball and i call a trap (Call safe, point to ground a few times, repeat safe call). BR thinks he is out (since no one cares to check the umpire's sign) and peels off before getting to first base and goes directly to the dugout. R2 is now on third, and since he saw BR go back into dugout, takes off back to 2nd. haha

So end of play, R2 remains at 2nd, and i told the scorebook scorer that since the runner did not run to first base, it is *not* a single and then out-by-abandonment. But then i didnt know what to tell him how to score it...

A) if the runner had got to first.. i assume single and then ?what? for the out?
B) Since runner never touched first, i assume NO single,,, but then ?what? for the out record?

Would that just be counted as a 3-unassisted? I searched Google and didnt find too much on it.

Wouldn't that be a call "no catch" signal safe? If there was no verbal what the players did would be understandable at lower levels.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Sep 16, 2017 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1009159)
Because some of us have a natural curiosity. Because sometimes we get asked by "mom the scorekeeper" and it's nice to be able to give an answer.

As well as for trivia questons:

1) What is the maximum number of hits can a baseball team get in an inning and not score any runs?

2) What is the maximum number of hits can a fast pitch softball team get in an inning and not score any runs?

MTD, Sr.

JJ Sun Sep 17, 2017 09:49am

....waiting.....tick....tick....tick.....

JJ

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Sep 17, 2017 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 1009175)
....waiting.....tick....tick....tick.....

JJ

1) Six hits in a baseball game.

2) Three hits in a fast pitch softball game.

MTD, Sr.

teebob21 Mon Sep 18, 2017 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1009181)
1) Six hits in a baseball game.

2) Three hits in a fast pitch softball game.

MTD, Sr.

While I can't speak to the baseball side, I think this answer ignores a FP runner being picked off or caught stealing. Softball scoring also grants a hit to the batter if they would have reached safely absent any interference.

Third World Softball brings you the following:
B1: Singles to the outfield.
--B1 picked off at 1B (2-3 out)
B2: Singles to the outfield.
--B2 caught stealing 2B. (2-6 out)
B3: Singles to the outfield.
B4: Singles to the infield; B3 advances to 2B.
B5: Singles to the infield; B3 advances to 3B, B4 advances to 2B.
B6: Hits a ball through the infield, runners advance; B4 called out for INT with a defender as the ball is thrown from the outfield to F5 for a force attempt at 3B.

I got six hits in softball.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Sep 18, 2017 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1009216)
While I can't speak to the baseball side, I think this answer ignores a FP runner being picked off or caught stealing. Softball scoring also grants a hit to the batter if they would have reached safely absent any interference.

Third World Softball brings you the following:
B1: Singles to the outfield.
--B1 picked off at 1B (2-3 out)
B2: Singles to the outfield.
--B2 caught stealing 2B. (2-6 out)
B3: Singles to the outfield.
B4: Singles to the infield; B3 advances to 2B.
B5: Singles to the infield; B3 advances to 3B, B4 advances to 2B.
B6: Hits a ball through the infield, runners advance; B4 called out for INT with a defender as the ball is thrown from the outfield to F5 for a force attempt at 3B.

I got six hits in softball.

I never thought of your scenario but then B6 is not credited with a single but she advances to 1B on a fielder's choice.

MTD, Sr.

robbie Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1009222)
I never thought of your scenario but then B6 is not credited with a single but she advances to 1B on a fielder's choice.

MTD, Sr.

B6: Ground ball toward infielder (say F6) and B4 is struck by ball prior to ball getting to F6. Yes / No??

teebob21 Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 1009223)
B6: Ground ball toward infielder (say F6) and B4 is struck by ball prior to ball getting to F6. Yes / No??

(Not to derail a baseball thread but) It appears I was not entirely correct in a previous post. Different codes award this hit differently. ASA says no: 11-3-D. NCAA says yes: 14.3.12.

I am still interested in hearing how the baseball sequence would be different than a FP softball inning. Regardless, I've got five hits minimum in a FP SB scoreless inning...and I guarantee you I've seen it before.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Sep 19, 2017 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1009224)
(Not to derail a baseball thread but) It appears I was not entirely correct in a previous post. Different codes award this hit differently. ASA says no: 11-3-D. NCAA says yes: 14.3.12.

I am still interested in hearing how the baseball sequence would be different than a FP softball inning. Regardless, I've got five hits minimum in a FP SB scoreless inning...and I guarantee you I've seen it before.

When a Runner commits interference, the Runner is out, all Runners return to the Base they occupied at the ToP except if their are forced to advanced because of the Batter aquiring 1B. But in Baseball the Batter is credited with a Single, while in Fast Pitch Softball, the Batter aquires 1B on a Fielder's Choice.

MTD, Sr.