The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Stump the ump (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102665-stump-ump.html)

Rich Fri May 19, 2017 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1005953)
Sorry if you took it personally, I was not directing the comment to any one specifically. I have read a lot of your input on here and other forums and respect your opinion greatly.

I thought we were talking FED and just don't see how we cannot just kill it, by rule, when action is relaxed.

Let me ask you this. If your catcher blocks one in the dirt keeping the ball in front of him, he removes his helmet while looking at the runner/s who are not moving, slides the ball toward him or picks it up using his helmet/mask, you are going to award bases?

Personally, I'm going to call time at this point and check the ball -- before the catcher does what you describe here.

If I have to award bases on detached player equipment, I will, but if I can avoid it (like in this situation), you're damned right I will.

Matt Fri May 19, 2017 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1005960)
Personally, I'm going to call time at this point and check the ball -- before the catcher does what you describe here.

If I have to award bases on detached player equipment, I will, but if I can avoid it (like in this situation), you're damned right I will.

Unless you're a mindreader, why would you check the ball? I'm assuming you don't do it on all balls in the dirt. I think you're looking retroactively at the situation and applying a proactive remedy that you just won't have at the time it would need to be applied.

Rich Fri May 19, 2017 11:46am

If I see F2 start his mask towards it....

Matt Fri May 19, 2017 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1005963)
If I see F2 start his mask towards it....

I'm cringing. We're in bail-out-stupidity territory here.

I'm just thinking back to the one we had in that college game...had we done that, it would have been at least one ejection (and with that coach, him protesting that we killed the ball improperly.) And he would have been totally justified and correct.

Rich Fri May 19, 2017 11:52am

I can stop play whenever action is relaxed.

After 30 years at all amateur levels, I don't feel the need to show everyone how smart I am.

Matt Fri May 19, 2017 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1005965)
I can stop play whenever action is relaxed.

After 30 years at all amateur levels, I don't feel the need to show everyone how smart I am.

That's not the point. I have a similar (if not better) resume. I would get hammered if I did this, because play isn't relaxed.

Rich Fri May 19, 2017 01:13pm

What about this is unrelaxed? The runners aren't moving and the ball is laying in front of the catcher.

Matt Fri May 19, 2017 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1005968)
What about this is unrelaxed? The runners aren't moving and the ball is laying in front of the catcher.

And what is the catcher doing?

Rich Fri May 19, 2017 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 1005969)
And what is the catcher doing?

Not a thing before I call time.