The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

LL Pitching Rule and protesting illegal pitcher

Question 1 - Did LL change any rules from 16 to 17 about P eligibility? I know last year the first limitation was catching 4 innings couldnt pitch, but I dont have a green book and when I have looked online, that limit is no longer listed at the top, is that still in play? I know also is was specific that catching 1 pitch in the 4th inning behind the plate constituted 4 innings of playing catcher. You couldnt have a player Catch the 4th and yank him with 2 outs.

So just want to check and make sure this didnt change.

Question 2 - when to protest? My thought is that in a regular season game, this is not a forfeit situation like a Tournament, so my thought is that if you protested that the game would be picked up at the time the illegal player entered the game and obviously not eligible to P, but if you just let it play out let the kid pitch the 5th and 6th and then call it, you not only would get to go back to that spot, but..wouldnt those count as pitches thrown so he could also not pitch his next game that week if he went over a certain threshold?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Question 1 - Did LL change any rules from 16 to 17 about P eligibility? I know last year the first limitation was catching 4 innings couldnt pitch, but I dont' have a green book and when I have looked online, that limit is no longer listed at the top, is that still in play? I know also is was specific that catching 1 pitch in the 4th inning behind the plate constituted 4 innings of playing catcher. You couldn't have a player Catch the 4th and yank him with 2 outs.

So just want to check and make sure this didnt change.

Question 2 - when to protest? My thought is that in a regular season game, this is not a forfeit situation like a Tournament, so my thought is that if you protested that the game would be picked up at the time the illegal player entered the game and obviously not eligible to P, but if you just let it play out let the kid pitch the 5th and 6th and then call it, you not only would get to go back to that spot, but..wouldn't those count as pitches thrown so he could also not pitch his next game that week if he went over a certain threshold?
Question 1: Yes it is still in effect. Regulation VI(a) page 42.

Question 2: If you wait yes the pitches count. Pitch count is per day, not per game. However, the protest committee does not have to rule a replay from the point of the infraction. They can disallow it. Maybe because they think it didn't matter. Maybe because they think you waited on purpose when you should not have (see 4.19(f) Note 2). So don't count on a replay happening.

The threshold decides how many DAYS rest is required. Games has nothing to do with it. He could pitch the next game if the rest requirement was met.

If you are going to try to game the system study the rules.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Fri Apr 28, 2017 at 11:39pm.