The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Foul or Fair Ball? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102594-foul-fair-ball.html)

Fargol Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:04pm

Foul or Fair Ball?

Batter hits a grounder towards first. It hits at least once in fair territory, but before reaching the base, kicks towards foul territory. Before it hits the ground in foul territory, but clearly over foul territory, the 1st baseman grabs it.

Fair or foul? I say foul.

Thanks.

Matt Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fargol (Post 1005018)
Batter hits a grounder towards first. It hits at least once in fair territory, but before reaching the base, kicks towards foul territory. Before it hits the ground in foul territory, but clearly over foul territory, the 1st baseman grabs it.

Fair or foul? I say foul.

Thanks.

Correct. It was a ground ball that was on or over foul territory before passing a base when first touched.

Fargol Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 1005019)
Correct. It was a ground ball that was on or over foul territory before passing a base when first touched.

Thanks, that's how I interpret the rule as well.

Seems I'm the only one in my group who thought so :)

Rich Ives Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fargol (Post 1005020)
Thanks, that's how I interpret the rule as well.

Seems I'm the only one in my group who thought so :)

Walk them through the definition one step at a time.

Fargol Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1005021)
Walk them through the definition one step at a time.

LOL I tried that. Posted multiple rules sources.

They maintain that it had to hit the ground in foul territory to be ruled foul. I suspect I was being screwed with, perhaps ... :)

illinoisbluezeb Mon Apr 24, 2017 07:56pm

Fargol let's add more to the same play.

Batter hits a grounder towards first. It hits at least once in fair territory, but before reaching the base, kicks towards foul territory. Before it hits the ground in foul territory, but clearly over foul territory, the 1st baseman grabs it with both feet touching completely in fair territory.

Fair or foul?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Tue Apr 25, 2017 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb (Post 1005070)
Fargol let's add more to the same play.

Batter hits a grounder towards first. It hits at least once in fair territory, but before reaching the base, kicks towards foul territory. Before it hits the ground in foul territory, but clearly over foul territory, the 1st baseman grabs it with both feet touching completely in fair territory.

Fair or foul?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

As i read it, Fargol knows the rule (and knows your play is foul). IT's others in his group who need convincing. And, since the OP didn't say where F3 was, your play doesn't really add anything.

john5396 Tue Apr 25, 2017 08:25am

Fargol,

I think your play description is ambiguous and the play could be fair or foul. Key missing element is did F3 grab the ball before the ball reaches first base or after the ball passes the front edge of the base.

If the ball has not passed 1st, then you are correct, the ball is foul based on where the ball is touched.

In the case of a bouncing ball which passes 1st base, the call now becomes the position of the ball when it passed the bag, not where it is touched by F3. So a ball that bounces in fair territory, passes over the bag and is then touched by F3 in foul territory before the ball bounces in foul territory is a fair ball.

Maybe you and your compatriots were picturing different plays.