The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   ncaa ruling please (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102209-ncaa-ruling-please.html)

bigwally Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:01am

ncaa ruling please

being ignorant of ncaa baseball rules could someone please tell me the penalty, if any, for a runner rounding third and incidently making contact with the third base coach? thank you

bob jenkins Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwally (Post 999252)
being ignorant of ncaa baseball rules could someone please tell me the penalty, if any, for a runner rounding third and incidently making contact with the third base coach? thank you

Same as in other codes -- it's nothing. All assuming that you really mean incidentally -- the coach did not contact the runner (instead the runner contacted the coach), and the coach did not put himself in the runner's path (rather, the runner tripped / slid / deviated from his path and happened to contact the coach who was out of the way until the trip, etc.)

bigwally Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:52am

thank you Bob...one more question...if the coach physically assists the runner and the runner is called out, is the ball still live or is the play ruled dead?

bob jenkins Sat Feb 04, 2017 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwally (Post 999255)
thank you Bob...one more question...if the coach physically assists the runner and the runner is called out, is the ball still live or is the play ruled dead?

Leave the ball live for the other runners

bigwally Sat Feb 04, 2017 01:37pm

Thank you Bob...much appreciated

umpjim Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwally (Post 999255)

Strangely, NCAA does not call the runner out until the end of playing action.

Welpe Mon Feb 06, 2017 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 999377)
Strangely, NCAA does not call the runner out until the end of playing action.

Neither did NFHS until this year which I find rather strange.

umpjim Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 999443)
Neither did NFHS until this year which I find rather strange.

I think they clarified to call the runner out immediately this year but never had it in the rule to call the runner out after all playing action is ended. I've always assumed to call, other than in NCAA, "that's assistance, he's out" when the assist took place. NCAA would allow the assisted runner to continue, given that the umpire might point and say something about what just happened and if the runner kept going any play on him would be OK, even if plays could have been made elsewhere.

Was there FED guidance to not call the assisted runner out until the end of playing action and you find it strange that they reversed that guidance. Or do you find it strange that with a delayed dead ball the runner is called out immediately but the ball is kept live for outs but not advances in FED?

umpjim Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 999478)
I think they clarified to call the runner out immediately this year but never had it in the rule to call the runner out after all playing action is ended. I've always assumed to call, other than in NCAA, "that's assistance, he's out" when the assist took place. NCAA would allow the assisted runner to continue, given that the umpire might point and say something about what just happened and if the runner kept going any play on him would be OK, even if plays could have been made elsewhere.

Was there FED guidance to not call the assisted runner out until the end of playing action and you find it strange that they reversed that guidance. Or do you find it strange that with a delayed dead ball the runner is called out immediately but the ball is kept live for outs but not advances in FED?

UPDATE: Thanks to recent NFHS 2017 Interps and my belated perusal of the 2017 casebook, coach assist will be called immediately (I never thought differently) and all outs and advances will stand. The 2017 rulebook has some remaining verbiage that would not support the Interp but the Interp and casebook will rule in this instance.

JJ Sun Feb 12, 2017 03:27pm

OK, how would you adjudicate this NCAA scenario: The runner is assisted by the 3rd base coach on his way to the plate, and is tagged at the plate. Would you call time at that point and call the runner out for the assistance violation? Would you call safe or out on the play and allow play to continue for other runners? I could see myself calling the runner safe at the plate, the catcher then throwing the ball to another base to try to retire another runner, and the coach bolting out of the dugout to argue the call at the plate. :D

JJ