The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Kershaw doesn't stop (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/101705-kershaw-doesnt-stop.html)

jwwashburn Fri Oct 07, 2016 05:52pm

Kershaw doesn't stop

Dodgers at Nationals

I have not seen a stop yet

jwwashburn Fri Oct 07, 2016 05:59pm

Ok, I have seen a couple of stops now but, he is doing a lot of "not stopping".

Rich Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:18pm

The silence of anyone caring is deafening. :)

Rich Ives Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:12pm

Cueto will really tick you off then.

Matt Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 991558)
Cueto will really tick you off then.

Why? He stops all the time!

Rich Ives Sat Oct 08, 2016 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 991559)
He stops all the time!

Nope.

CoachPaul Sun Oct 09, 2016 08:26pm

In physics, a stop is mandatory for any change of direction. It's impossible to change directions without a momentary stop. Momentum is zero, even if for a micro second.

Matt Sun Oct 09, 2016 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachPaul (Post 991615)
In physics, a stop is mandatory for any change of direction. It's impossible to change directions without a momentary stop. Momentum is zero, even if for a micro second.

And that's not relevant, because the stop has to be discernable.

Rich Sun Oct 09, 2016 09:08pm

Quote:

Except also that the stop means everything stops. If I lift my leg before the hands stop....

CoachPaul Mon Oct 10, 2016 06:34am

I don't want to get into a word definition battle for sure, but people discern things differently. If there is a change in direction of the hands, and that change if direction occurs in the same spot each time, it can be predicted and ceases to be deceptive. I have then discerned there was a stop. If minimum duration of time mattered greatly, there would be a time mentioned in the rules.

Obviously the pitcher can't begin their leg lift or slide step until their hands are either stopped, or moving in the same direction as their lift or slide step. Otherwise you have a balk.

Rich Mon Oct 10, 2016 07:28am

Except that the various rule codes have specifically said that a mere change in direction is not a stop.

No pitcher is ever required to deliver the same way each time, either. A delivery is either legal or illegal on its own.

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 10, 2016 01:52pm

Quote:

In a world of 2 dimensions, you are correct.

In real life -- this is completely false.

Imagine holding the ball in your hands and making a complete circle with it. You are constantly changing directions, and at one point you stop going up and start coming down (and at another point, vice versa) ... but you never stopped.

ozzy6900 Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachPaul (Post 991619)
I don't want to get into a word definition battle for sure, but people discern things differently. If there is a change in direction of the hands, and that change if direction occurs in the same spot each time, it can be predicted and ceases to be deceptive. I have then discerned there was a stop. If minimum duration of time mattered greatly, there would be a time mentioned in the rules.

Obviously the pitcher can't begin their leg lift or slide step until their hands are either stopped, or moving in the same direction as their lift or slide step. Otherwise you have a balk.

The only rule set that followed this rule to the letter was NCAA and that was changed years ago to meld with the other rule sets. "a change of direction is not to be considered a stop".

Rich Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachPaul (Post 991619)

So if a pitcher does it the first time it's a balk, but on the 24th time it isn't?

Fascinating.

BoomerSooner Tue Oct 11, 2016 01:47pm

He stopped entirely after the 5th inning!