Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattinglyfan
Thanks guys. All points taken. I will make it a point that the next time I see that umpire I will let him know that I think he does a heck of a job. He is one of the better umpires I have seen. I think that he can even make a bad call every now and then though. Like you said, we all can make mistakes. Myself definitely included.
Is this the greatest game on earth or what!!
I'm very impressed that you have come here with an open mind. You'll understand if many of us umpires don't believe many coaches have that ability.

In your original post, you mentioned, "However, after each play, after each game I believe everything disagreement and argument should stay on the field, and be dropped." This is the attitude that most of us try to take, too. But I hope your smart enough to realize that is a goal and cannot always be obtained. If some one is treating you like crap for 8 innings, you can only expect more of the same in the 9th.

However, you are right that the umpire made a mistake. He should have tossed you when he got fed up with you in game one. He should not have let continue. By doing so, he walked around for several days after that game saying to friends and family, "There was this coach so-and-so that was acting like a real jerk and I should have tossed him." Having it build up like that is what caused him to over react in the second game.

My thought of what to do next is (1) apologize sincerely to the umpire, telling him that you are changing your style of talking with umpires, and (2) change your style of talking with umpires.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Thanks guys. All points taken. I will make it a point that the next time I see that umpire I will let him know that I think he does a heck of a job. He is one of the better umpires I have seen. I think that he can even make a bad call every now and then though. Like you said, we all can make mistakes. Myself definitely included.
Is this the greatest game on earth or what!!

Quite a thread in which a coach is reviewing his own actions and trying to understand umpires, or at least this particular one. I certainly have to give a degree of credit to anyone who posts as "Mattinglyfan". I hope I am correct in assuming it is for the former Yankee player rather than the umpire. "Donny Baseball" was a class act. I would ask what age the players are and if you have had similar difficulties with other umpires. If not chalk it up to umpires do indeed make mistakes and we all have different personalities. I would question your earlier statement

Quote:
...Sometimes I purposley will make an extra effort to let blue know that me and everyone on Earth saw the play different, hoping that maybe he will acknowledge that he makes mistakes too. And maybe next time I will get one too.
I think this is the most misunderstood part of umpiring. Really good officials don't correct mistakes with make-up calls. If they boot one I think they try to bear down and not let it happen again to either team. Try TALKING more and yelling less and your 25-year baseball skills will prove more mutually beneficial. Jim/NYC
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

The Post-Game Remark

I agree with Ump20 that I don't try to match up mistakes. They may happen from time to time, and I do everything in my power to prevent one, but two wrongs do not make a right in this situation. On top of that, who is to say which mistake affects the game more? So, "balancing" mistakes is nearly impossible anyways.

One thing that was mentioned by mbcrowder was at the end of the game to have a positive remark. While I personally hightail it as quickly out of a ballpark as possible, there have been times when a coach, players, and/or parents were heard yelling a "Thanks blue", "Good game blue" or some other positive remark. Whether they be backed with truth or not, those little comments make all the difference.

While I am an umpire, I also feel that the arguing of calls is also part of baseball. Assuming we don't let technology like QuesTec ruin our jobs, it will always be a part of baseball. If using respect, any coach I feel has the right to ask a question. However, the umpire also has the right, to deny an answer, or give a "just because" type answer. I doubt there are many officials that can get themselves to boot a call just for spite.

I will always remember the coach that jogged up to me after the game (his team lost) with an extra Capri Sun from the kids' post-game snack. I felt I had umped a fairly good game, and did not hear many complaints aside from the mumblings from the bench. As I was in the parking lot on my way to the car, I heard a "Hey Blue!" When I turned, the losing team's coach smiled, stuck out his hand and said, "You worked hard out there Blue. Have this one on us."

It's the little things that make the difference.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

I believe as a manager that I have a right to an explanation why he thought the runner was safe. Was the throw late, did the 1baseman pull his foot, was there no control?
Any suggestions how I might handle this situation with this umpire in the future?

First things first - You do not have a RIGHT for an explanation on safes / outs; balls / strikes; Fair / Foul.

If there is a rule interpretation or awarding of bases that you do not agree with, then you have the "right" to question a ruling but not JUDGEMENT Calls.

Let's turn it around a bit.

Suppose you sent a certain runner home from second base on a single and the runner was thrown out by a mile. Would you like your judgement questioned as to why you sent the runner? or You keep your starting F1 in the game for one batter too many meaning F1 gives up a gopher ball.

You call for a hit /run where B1 K's and R1 is a dead duck at second. In other words I do not think you as coach would want players , parents etc. questioning your judgement.

If F4, F5, or F6 doesn't matter can't handle a ground ball and the inning goes on forever, I think you would get upset if we said "Hey Skip common take out so and so".

Therefore in summary you do not have the right to question judgement calls. This isn't the PROS where it's tolerated.

Pete Booth

Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Jim, I couldn't have said it better myself. I know this is a coach that posted but what about taking it one step further with a player....

I was filling in this season as a favor to a friend of mine during a recreational women's slow-pitch game. I was behind the plate and there was a play at first where 1B may have pulled her foot. It really could have gone either way but to make a long story short after the game another player on the team familiar to me said, "Chris, that call sucked!" I could've/should've kept my mouth shut but because I had heard quite a bit during the whole game about that call I said to her, "You made a few errors at short tonight didn't you?" "Yes." "Well, does that mean you suck too?"

I know that was rather harsh but sometimes I just get tired of players and coaches wanting a perfect game from the officials. Bottom line is I bet most coaches, players and Mattinglyfan would change their minds VERY QUICKLY if they themselves put on a mask. You want to point out the mistakes umps make....put on a mask, get behind the catcher, make your first mistake (it will happen) and then, knowing that you made a mistake, let's see how you react when a coach wants to tell you about it. You know you made a mistake. You don't need someone out there to tell you you did. Maybe that's why he didn't want to talk to you. Peace!!