The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Shin Guard Recommendations

Hello all,

Coming over from the Softball community, I'd like to know what your recommendations are for shin guards. I've been using some modified Diamond iX3 shin guards for 7 years, but they need to be replaced. I modified them by removing the top portion of the guard around the knee area and my knees are completely unprotected. I've only been hit there twice in that time and like the freedom that the open knees give. That being said, I'm starting to do higher level ball and need the knee protection.

I've tried the Davis Shins and didn't really like them. My pants kept going between the shin guard and my leg when I stood from my plate position. Has anyone used the Diamond Featherweight? What about the Schutt AiR-U5?

Thanks for your help!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Wilson Platinum

I was in the same boat as you last year - so I bought the Wilson Platinum shin guards and I absolutely love them. But you have to have plate pants - no combo's.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 01:14am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Hello all,

Coming over from the Softball community, I'd like to know what your recommendations are for shin guards. I've been using some modified Diamond iX3 shin guards for 7 years, but they need to be replaced. I modified them by removing the top portion of the guard around the knee area and my knees are completely unprotected. I've only been hit there twice in that time and like the freedom that the open knees give. That being said, I'm starting to do higher level ball and need the knee protection.

I've tried the Davis Shins and didn't really like them. My pants kept going between the shin guard and my leg when I stood from my plate position. Has anyone used the Diamond Featherweight? What about the Schutt AiR-U5?

Thanks for your help!
I work both Baseball and Softball at high levels. I like the Diamond Umplite for almost all games I work. I do own a set of Wilson Platinum's but only wear them for true upper level Baseball and Men's Fast-pitch games with pitchers who bring it nasty and have weak catchers.