View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 11, 2017, 10:49am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The NFHS rule 4-40 does verbatim. Side and front is visual field. Behind is not within visual field. NCAAM doesn't say the words side or front but meaning is same. 4-34-3. Within visual field anywhere short of contact is fine. Outside of it one step.

I did look up "visual field." Merriam Webster says the visual field is determined by person looking straight ahead. Anything in the periphery is within visual field. If I look straight ahead I can still see to side. Now if I concentrate so much on what is directly in front of me I can't see anything to side. I'm Not using my peripheral vision. That does not mean that what is there, the screener in this play, is not within my visual field.

Finally, 4-21-4 of NCAAM rules say player screened within visual field expected to avoid contact. Fact that he doesn't have the ball doesn't matter.
I don't care what the NFHS rule says, I very rarely use that rule set and the play in question was an NCAA-M game. Also don't care what the dictionary says about vision field and you can say the screener was or should have been in defenders periphery vision, but that may or may not be true. Even if the defender is not concentrating on the inbounder, people have different levels of peripherial vision what one person sees many other people may not. For me it is simple, he is looking forward, the screener is completely on his side, outside his field of vision.

Whether the screener has the ball or not does in fact matter because I see this play as incidental contact. Read section 21, article 5. For you, it doesn't matter since you don't believe it to be incidental contact.