View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I quit saying "on the floor" after I had a bunch of coaches complain when I called a shooting foul when the shooter hadn't left the floor yet. I still get those complaints, but I'm at least not contributing to the problem. "Before the shot" works just as well, and it's got the added benefit of verbal accuracy. More importantly, it doesn't perpetuate a stupid myth.

I have the same issues with "over the back" and "reaching in." Sure, most coaches know what is meant, but there are quite a few who legitimately think reaching over the back is a foul regardless of contact. Why? Partly because as they worked up from lower levels, it was called that way.

Endline/baseline? I don't give a rat's ass. Call/Request a timeout? Not important.
I saw a state final where the official "signaled" "on the floor" by pointing down. Most of the 5,000 or so couldn't hear him say "on the floor" but they all saw a mechanic that looked very much like "count the basket"

As for endline/baseline, I agree it doesn't matter, but I always use endline because it subtlely conveys that I read the rulebook.