View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
As I adjust to life in two different conferences and assignors. I'm doing my best to keep improving myself while keeping everyone happy.

In my new conference they are really tight on illegal contact on the "boxing out" of shooters. That's pretty easy. A) Watch for displacement or roughness and 2) make sure you can tell if they were done shooting or not.

Its 2 that is causing me a sticky wicket . . .

Player is in the act of shooting until they land if they are airborne. UNtil they release the ball if they stay grounded I've got a number of couple of partners who've indicated to me that they either:

*Give the shooter time to land and get balanced again before they consider the act of shooting done.

*In case case of a set shooter (generally girls ball) give her the same time and opportunity to recover/protect herself as they would as if she had jumped?

In a nutshell: player has released the shot and has returned to the floor but the foul called on the box out/rebounding action involving the shooter is still sometimes being treated as a shooting foul.

Doesn't happen often but enough in games I am working that I am second guessing myself and having trouble explaining the rule/what I am seeing to others. Keep in mind most of this is because we are calling a lot of rebounding fouls anyway.

In my mind once you are back on the floor or have released the ball and never left the floor you are not longer a shooter. There appears to be a magical grey area here or is it just the guys in my new part of Rome that are doing there own thing?

DO you guys consider touching the floor landed? Or is that too literal should a be looking for a completed landing, balanced and ready to play.
Once they land…they have landed. no longer airborne shooter. If you are unsure you can go with shooting foul but if you know clearly they landed then they get ball OOB or bonus etc.

I don't require balanced and completed landing etc. I suppose you have to do what your powers that be require. I wouldn't require it.