View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 10:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
NCAA officials, if they are going to accept NFHS games, need to-- at the very least -- review pp.75-77 of the rules book delineating the differences between the two rule sets. Partner last week-- and I like him dearly as a friend and a crewmate -- was surprised I called a violation for a player intentionally going OOB and delaying before return inbounds, then called a violation on a player who he determined was first to touch after going OOB and then returning inbounds.
I say, "If they are going to accept NFHS games." They really don't have to. And if they determine not to call the game according to the approved rules set, it's better for the crew and the game if they not officiate high school games.
Comply or deny. Comply with the prevailing rules set, or deny the opportunity to officiate the game.
Simple.
And what about the HS-only officials who apply NCAA and NBA rules they see on TV because they don't get in the rule book at all? I rather have a college guy who occasionally makes an honest mistake in delineating the 2 rule sets as opposed to the multitude of HS-only guys around here who barely get 80's on open book rules tests.

I had my young protégé' tell me about this exact play from his HS game the other night. I simply told him he used the wrong rule set for the play, without the condescending "if you are going accept HS games" lecture.

As for me, I don't need pg 75-77, I study the rules for each level and apply accordingly. If I have a rules question, I go directly to the rule in that level's rule book.

I had a HS game a couple weeks ago where a visiting players was flying OOB airborne in front of the home team's bench and yelled "time out", just before he hit the floor. The home HS coach, who only deals with HS rules, told me the player couldn't do that. I had to remind the HS coach that what he is referring to is a college rule. Maybe coaches shouldn't accept HS positions if they can't keep the rule sets straight.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 02, 2017 at 10:12am.