View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I watched the video with the audio off so I did not hear the complaining.

My advice would be to understand that all officials miss calls every game and that it should all balance out in the end.

I saw a couple times where players set screens and fell to the floor on contact that I do not consider excessive. It didn't appear to me that they were falling to the floor for any purpose other than to draw a foul. They are taking themselves out of the play by falling to the floor and are not likely to draw many fouls when setting screens.

You should understand that you cannot expect officials to get every call right. Every time a player falls to the floor in hopes of drawing a foul, they are taking a risk (A) they will draw the foul, (B) they will be called for a foul, or (C) there will be no call and they will be on the floor while a basketball game is being played. What they do affects the outcome, but they are forcing the official to decide the outcome. It is a risk, but you shouldn't be surprised when you don't get the desired outcome. Your team can play in such a way that they are less dependent on the officials.

I have also coached my children's teams with officials who I know and have worked with. Call the official "R" and say that he is a man, but the same could be said of almost anyone I consider to be a good official. I watch R in a varsity game and think he is a good official. I work with R in a varsity game and think he is a good official. I watch R in a rec game and think he is a good official. I work with R in a rec game and think he is a good official. Then, I have a rec game where I am the coach and I see R miss a lot of plays. The first couple times, I thought R just had a bad game as I know that R isn't cheating against me as he is friendly the next time I see him. I realized that the problem is that I see plays a lot differently as a coach because a coach has a rooting interest. A lot differently. As a coach, I want R to call every marginal play in my team's favor.

As an official, it helps me to realize that the coaches see things from a biased perspective.