View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 03:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
NY State they are done for the day and need a doctor's note clearing them for when they want to return to play.
Here we send them out if they are exhibiting signs or symptoms of a concussion, in our opinion.

But whether they can return that day depends on the physician or LAT who examines the player. If that person decides the athlete does not have a concussion and is not exhibiting signs/symptoms and is fit to play, that's all that's required.

If there is no physician or LAT available, the player is done for the day.

If a concussion is diagnosed, the player is done for the day. If a player is exhibiting signs / symptoms to the doctor or LAT, the player is done for the day.

I'm not a doctor or LAT and I'm not the one who should be deciding these things. Even so, I can have a player removed if I'm not satisfied that the player is OK.

---------
WIAA (WI) Policy:

If you suspect a player may have a concussion, that athlete should be immediately removed from play. The injured athlete should be kept out of play until they are cleared to return by an appropriate health care provider. If the appropriate health care provider determines the athlete is not exhibiting the signs/symptoms of a concussion and does not have a concussion, they may return to play.

A physician or LAT may evaluate an athlete for concussion. If they determine that the athlete is not displaying the signs of a concussion or does not have a concussion, the athlete may return to play. If they determine that the athlete is displaying the signs of a concussion or does in fact have a concussion, the athlete may not return to play (with or without a note) that day.

WIAA Sports Medical Advisory Council identifies a physician and licensed athletic trainer (LAT) under the direct supervision of a physician as an appropriate health care professional for determining return to play other than the same day.