View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If we are talking about how much he moved laterally, than we are talking about an inch or two. He was basically there waiting on the contact. He even took the contact in the chest. I would not at all consider that outside of the movement stated in the rulebook. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the defender in this case most of the time. It would be one thing if he slide over a couple of feet, but he is trying to take the contact. The only thing it seems like you would require is for him to be totally still, which is not the requirement for the rule.

Peace
Appreciate the feedback but respectfully disagree.

It's not the only thing I require but I sure would not allow lateral or oblique movement of a secondary defender (even an inch or two) into an airborne shooter, which is indeed stated as a foul in the rulebook.

I was mentored under the old adage of giving the defender the benefit of the doubt and for them to take it in the chest to get that offensive charge call. With the induction of the RA in the college game, you do yourself more harm in keeping with that thought process. The supervisors I work for have instructed their staff to move away from that philosophy and that was a directive given above them. It's taken some time but I'm doing my best to adhere to the change.

We either adapt or get passed by those who do.