Thread: NBA Timeouts
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1967 View Post
Hey guys. Two more questions:

1. I know each quarter has specific rules saying at which times mandatory timeouts have to be taken. If teams call the timeouts themselves before the cutoffs (eg 3 minutes, 6 minutes, 9 minutes) and the mandatory timeouts aren't needed, how is it determined which full timeout is 60 seconds and which is 100? I know each quarter has a specified required number of 100 second timeouts but not sure how it works when a team calls full timeouts to negate the need for the mandatory timeouts. I can see a quarter where no mandatory timeouts are called by the refs but rather each team calls the timeouts themselves before the applicable required time. In which case it isn't clear to me how it is decided which of the timeouts are 100 seconds and which are 60 seconds.

2. A timeout is required to be called before the 6 minute mark of first quarter. What if no full timeout has been called but a 20 second timeout has been called? Would a mandatory timeout have to be taken at the 6 minute mark?
1.) Regular timeouts are 100 seconds if a mandatory...60 seconds if not. For instance if a team takes two early fulls in the 1st quarter....they will be 100 seconds. Any other regular TO called in the quarter will be 60 seconds in length.

2.) If a team calls a 20 second timeout and it's below the delineated time...two things can happen. If team A calls the 20 and is due to be charged a timeout then the 20 second timeout is given back to A and it'll be charged with a full. It'll be 100 seconds in length. If team A calls a 20 and team B is due to be charged with a timeout then Team A is charged the 20...and immediately afterward Team B will be charged with a full and that 100 second TO will begin.

If a team calls a 20 second at any other time then no it does not count toward the mandatory timeouts.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.