View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I see the same possibility. Told some folks that in a non-officiating forum. Definitely not 4 steps. The earliest he may have gathered is with the left foot down followed by a right foot-left foot step sequence, which would be a travel. But I could see an argument for that the gather wasn't complete until the right foot was down.

Bottom line, it's not as blatant as people want to make it seem. As Adam pointed out, the high dribble throws it off.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Count me in the camp that thinks this was not a travel, or perhaps a very marginal one at best. Not blatant. Also, it took me looking at the play in slow motion ten times to come to that conclusion, which says something. If I'm the slot and I'm not 110% sure in that situation, my lips are sealed.

What looks bad isn't always bad. I've had lots of occasions where I thought I might have missed a travel (as did one bench and half the crowd), only to look at the video later and determine that I indeed did not miss it. Of course I've also confirmed some of my own NCIs, but we won't talk about that.

Bottom line is that these types of travels are very hard to have a reasonable level of certainty on, especially when focusing on torsos and restricted areas at the same time. Many of them get missed. Maybe Steve Kerr is on to something with the idea of assigning a fourth official that focuses solely on travels. Not that I ever want that idea to come to fruition....