View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Can't see the video at work, but I agree that seeing the whole play is important. It is a judgment call. If A1 is a scorer who shoots every time he gets close to the paint, that factors into the decision-making. If A1 is a 5' 9" PG who gets fouled by 6' 6" B2 while 6' 6" A2 is wide-open cutting down the lane, that plays a part in the decision-making process also.
Yes, What I see in this video is 24 being a half a foot taller than the guy chasing him, the other defender to his left and the offensive player on the other side of the other defender. He's going in to shoot a wide open layup and 5 either pushes or grabs his leg or something. Lead can likely see because the left arm is out to players side when he grabs or pushes. We then see 24 have to readjust his body...and he dumps a wide open layup to a midget on the other side. The way his body reacted means a lot to me here. The foul caused the dump so i will give him two.

I can't really see the contact clearly, but based on the above and the fact that number 5 didn't give the standard "i didn't touch him" reaction, (he knew what he did wrong) I'm pretty confident there was a foul.

I think folks who say we shouldn't watch the whole play to determine intent of the shooter and that we must decide at the moment of contact are on one end. I think those who say whatever the contact, it makes no difference, if he dumps it i'll never give him two are on the other end.

I think the answer and the rules require it to be something in the middle of those two.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Jan 05, 2017 at 02:14pm.