View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 12:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I think there are two things coming out of this thread:

(1) I think we all know what the rules say. If the player is attempting to shoot and is fouled, we award throws.

(2) There's the "part we can sell" bit. Although I think #2 is one where I could more easily sell a shot attempt, I see Jeff and APG's point, too. If I say, "on the pass" and inbound on the end line, I can easily sell that.

There are exceptions to this. I had a player get fouled under the basket and the foul prevented the player from finishing her shooting motion. The coach was adamant that it was not on the shot, saying, "that didn't even get above her waist!" Well, so what?

I tend to agree. Patient whistle, let the play finish, don't surprise both benches.

Let's look at both plays:

(1) A triple whistle on a play where it would've been nice to see if there was any possession consequence. He always intended to make that pass and he successfully did so. It's not an automatic. Three VERY FAST whistles on a play where I'd hope to see none.

Trail has a horrible angle, center is looking through the back of the defender. Frankly, the only one with a good look is the lead and I'm not sure his posture tells me even he has a good look.

(2) I'm still not sure there's a foul there. The L, giving the tip signal for no reason, lost a step or two in the process. Don't think the C really worked hard to help, either. Whether I award shots here would depend on my first instinct, but again I think the whistle is a bit quick.