View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW answer -- just the opposite of FED. (IIRC, the FED case play used to match the NCAAW answer. The FED case play wsa changed about 10 years ago -- incorrectly, I believe).

DATE:

3/2/2015

RULE:

Rule 2, Art. 5, and A.R 29

QUESTION:

Could you please clarify a situation that occurred in a game I observed. B1 push A1. A1 is entitled to two shots(double bonus). The official tell A1 one and one. the time on clock is 17.1(regulation). Team B1 rebound, pass to B2 who dribble toward the division line, when the officials stop the game due to clock not properly starting. The table tell officials A1 should have been shooting two shots. Its the correctable error frame. A1 will shoot the second shot

Question A) Will A1 shoot the second shot with everyone on the line or B) will A1 shoot with no one on the line and give ball to team B where the game was stop to fix the timing error.

I am trying to figure out if Rule 2, Art 5 consist with Question B

ANSWER:

Great question, because there are a few moving parts. When A1 failed to shoot the second free throw to which she was entitled, this was a correctable error (Rule 2-12.1.a). B1 rebounded the live ball, passed it to B2 and at that time the officials stop play because the game clock failed to start. As this is the first dead ball since the error, the officials are within the window to correct the error (Rule 2-12.2). Because there was a change of team control, A1 will shoot her second free throw with no players occupying marked lane spaces and play will resume at the point of interruption, which will be a throw-in by Team B at the out of bounds spot nearest to where play was stopped for the timing mistake. (Rule 2-12.5, 4-27.1.c). Lastly, the officials will need to determine the correct time on the game clock (17.1 seconds minus the amount of time that team B was in control).