View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I absolutely hold officials to a higher standard when they are watching games as fans because they should know better, plain and simple.

And there is no reason to be passive aggressive. Deal with the issue head on. Tell the guy you didnt appreciate how he behaved during the game and you have a reasonable expectation of not dealing with that BS from a fellow official. If he disagrees then tell him you'll adress it with the assigner. Our assigner would let the official know of the standard we have here for treating fellow officials even as a fan.

Ive been a fan and a coach. I know how emotional people can get and how easy it is to go off on the officiating but I also, am an official. And know how difficult the job is and what it entails. So I keep that in mind when I'm watching a game in a different capacity. And I think its more than fair to expect fellow officials to do the same, especially those within the same association.
Honestly, my only difference with this is the fact that I'm going to the assigner regardless. Not because I'm afraid to deal with the jack-ass, but because I know he's done it before and will do it again. It needs to get dealt with from top down, not from the bottom up.

I'd also add that he's not as well-respected as the OP may think if he's doing this.

Additionally, when an official acts like this, those around him will typically know he's an official and will take their cue from him. I'm getting rid of that element, but others may certainly do it differently.