View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Fellow ref riding crew as spectator

I had a BJV game tonight in which a ref from our association had a kid playing. He was standing near the corner of the baseline and every time on that end I blew the whistle (or didn't, depending on the team), he's just all over me. Yelling loudly enough for the whole gym to hear (and it got pretty loud for a JV game). Nothing inappropriate or profane or personal, he was just being an a$$hole. To his fellow officials from the association.

Most of it was toward me and I did a decent job of tuning him out (I'm 24 but I'm no rookie--this is my fifth year of officiating), but I knew he said something to one of my partners too. This guy is a decently-respected official in our association too, and I've seen him on-court at several big games.

I know it wasn't personal, but it's not okay. I can't really say I've felt more disrespected as an official in my short career. And frankly I don't care if your kid is playing. I don't care about your kid. I'm not in this for the kids. There's no excuse for an official to be acting that way, even if they have a vested interest in the game.

I didn't feel the need to get game management involved, but I did send an email to our association president and asked him to send an email to everybody reminding them that there are certain ways we should act at games. Appropriate response?