Thread: Problem Player
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't entirely disagree, that's why I said it's all in context and this isn't automatic.

Take for instance a foul you call and the player asks you what he did. You explain and he get it. He says thanks, pats your butt and walks away. Let's assume it's genuine appreciation.

You call the T. Somewhere in the rule you have justification. In reality you just made a connection with a player who appreciated feedback and you had great communication that almost means you have an ally on that team who can "help" you and the crew. In college, its' a win win. Slapping a T here negates all that and I know will get me a call from my assignor and I will expect a, "why the heck did you call the T." The expectation is to communicate (that's a 2 way street).

I've had a 7 footer come up to me and put his hand on my shoulder and ask why I couldn't have let that foul go (we both laughed and he moved along). In your world that's a T. In mine it's a moment to communicate and build a relationship.
I misread your post, or the intention anyway. I understand what you're saying, and agree. I think in the OP the kid showed that he was a smart*** before the game started, so in that situation it's a T. A kid genuinely thanking me is not going to be a T. But a player touching me in any way other than genuine appreciation is not getting another chance to do that.