Thread: Problem Player
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
If he's acting like that and I give him an opportunity to knock it off, and he slaps my ass you can bet he'll start the game with a T. There is no reason for a player to ever touch an official, not to mention him trying to show you up. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I don't think I'll convince you otherwise and vice versa. There are at least 3 other instances where I would've whacked this kid without a second thought, but that hustle pat for me is not a warning. His warning comes when I tell him to cool it with the crap before the game. It's amazing he's gotten this far thinking he can act like that. Guys who did not TCOB, along with poor coaching would be my reasons he acts like this. This kind of crap gets me fired up. What we permit we promote.
I don't entirely disagree, that's why I said it's all in context and this isn't automatic.

Take for instance a foul you call and the player asks you what he did. You explain and he get it. He says thanks, pats your butt and walks away. Let's assume it's genuine appreciation.

You call the T. Somewhere in the rule you have justification. In reality you just made a connection with a player who appreciated feedback and you had great communication that almost means you have an ally on that team who can "help" you and the crew. In college, its' a win win. Slapping a T here negates all that and I know will get me a call from my assignor and I will expect a, "why the heck did you call the T." The expectation is to communicate (that's a 2 way street).

I've had a 7 footer come up to me and put his hand on my shoulder and ask why I couldn't have let that foul go (we both laughed and he moved along). In your world that's a T. In mine it's a moment to communicate and build a relationship.