Thread: Fresh Meat
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 01:08am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Stop sign works for some. I'm not convinced that showing the coach your hand is going to work if he already thinks you're new. For me, a quick and quiet word works better.

"Coach, this (whatever it is) is not going to continue tonight." If you want to be blunt, "Coach, I get the impression that you think this is my first game." Or "Coach, I'm not one of your players, so you really don't get to coach me today."

Sometimes, the only thing that works is a T if he's pushing your limits to see what you'll take. Pull the trigger.

Adam:

I am reminded of Mark, Jr.'s very first basketball game (and I had the thrill of being his partner); and you must remember he is a 17 year old senior in H.S. It is first game was the 7th grade game of a girls' 7th/8th grade DH. Mid-way through the 3rd QT he was going administer a throw-in after a TO on the sideline opposite the Table in front of the Visitors' fans. A father who was not impressed with our officiating asks him: "Is this the first game you have ever officiated?" With the coolness of a veteran official, like his "old man", he matter of factly replies to the father: "As a mater of fact it is." And then proceeded to administer the throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio