View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal View Post
From my understanding - You report to the official book about the second technical, tell them to write down the time, quarter and score - then step back and say put 1 minute n the clock for the coach to leave the area. If they don't leave when the buzzer hits zero then the game is forfeited. Now the unwritten rule - I've been told one minute for years but can't find any time or timeline for a coach to be removed in any book. If there isn't a 'written' rule then how can we enforce when Coach Johnny gets tossed? How long do we give them?
OK, Now I'm understanding the question better.

The 1 minute is up to the discretion of the official, but it's a courtesy. Once it's clear that the coach is trying to refuse to leave, I'm simply telling him he needs to leave immediately or his team will forfeit the game. Putting a clock on it is simply a visual aid, and a line in the sand.

Sometimes standard practice doesn't get written down for a reason.

Edit to add:

This may be a local expectation. A number of practices aren't written, such as the courtesy of warning the coach when his behavior approaches sportsmanship guidelines. That's not written because often times we simply skip the courtesy warning and call the T. This is the same thing. The minute on the clock is a courtesy to give him a chance to compose himself and leave. It's not required, you could forfeit as soon as he announces that he's refusing to leave. If he's questioning the 60 second window, simply let him know you're not obligated to give him any time at all and he needs to start moving for the exit immediately.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Dec 15, 2016 at 05:52pm. Reason: additional thoughts