Thread: camp question
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 08:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation This has nothing to do with the NBA.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
You are going to hear from both sides on this topic. Some people share the same opinion of your clinician. Identify the "star" players and if they get close to fouling out, or get a few fouls early , make sure that any fouls you call on them are "earned".

As far as I'm concerned, HS is not the NBA!

Officials should strive for consistancy. Contact that warrants a players first foul, warrants the same players fifth foul. This applies whether the player is the star or the last player off the bench.

The common wisdom spouted for the clinicians point of view is "you don't want to affect the game by fouling out the star unless it's a "solid" foul".

I say that if team B knows that star A has four fouls, they may try to run plays at him to try to get that fifth foul. If you are passing on contact by star A that you called earlier in the game, aren't you affecting the game by denying team B the chance to do what they are attempting?

Bottom line - work to become consistant, call the game.

PS - Good job with the "camp manners"!
I really do not understand why everyone takes a comment and runs with it. This advice has nothing to do with the NBA, at least that I am aware of. What this is about, is to concentrate and stay focused on where the ball is going and who is going to get the attention from the opponent. If you think a star player is not going to get more attention from the opponent, you are sadly mistaken. This is just to make you aware of who is going to get pushed, kicked (I am being very facetious here) or whatever the opponent is going to throw at that person to stop them. If I know that a team is a "one man team," it is much easier to know who to watch or make sure that the opponents do not do cheap things to them. It is also good to know if they are "getting away" with stuff, to protect yourself. If that kid fouls out, you think the coach might go a little more balistic? So when you give that 4th and 5th foul, you can be sure it was a good foul. One, those are the fouls they will really scrutinize on tape. Two, you will realize when the coach will go "ape $h!t" rather than it coming as a complete surprise. You do not change anything, you just make sure your behind is covered rather than having a bomb blow up in your face and you not realize the timer was on.

But this is just one person's opinion. But the higher you go up or the better the game at the high school level, you need to be prepared for all the obsticals that will be thrown at you. This is just one way to overcome them.

Peace