View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I assign varsity hoops for 24 schools and the first thing I did when I took the job was lose the "Black List" the previous assigner kept. Most of the coaches who put officials there weren't even coaching anymore. The ones that are still coaching probably forgot why they put the officials on the list.

I'm into year 3 now and there's 1 official I will keep away from 1 school and I have good reasons to do so -- yes, there was an incident. There are also some conflicts of interest I know about and simply schedule around. I just did a count so I could send a preseason email -- I have 264 different officials covering 348 varsity games this season and I don't think it serves the greater good in the long term to let coaches decide who won't (or will) be working their games.
I agree with this.

I guess I don't really have an issue with schools blocking officials in my state since officials get a certain number of blocks for schools and partners (I think five "teams" and three partners statewide is what we're permitted). "Teams" meaning that if you block a school's JV and varsity, that counts as two blocks. Since we almost always work doubleheaders, you can't block girls or boys teams specifically. Only "levels." I only have one partner blocked and a lot of other officials have the same guy blocked, as well. I haven't blocked any teams because the way I see it, if a school doesn't like me, they can get rid of me at the expense of one of their allotted blocks. I'm not going to use mine.