View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 11:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Spend the money and buy the Manual. The cost of the Manual is a tax deduction on your Schedule C.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post
How much are you getting paid per game? And you don't want to spend a few dollars to have a manual that tells you exactly what you need to be doing? Always amazes me that guys don't want to part with a few dollars to improve themselves and then wonder why they aren't advancing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I'm a college student who doesn't have an extra $15-$20 to throw around at the moment. Once the season gets rolling I probably will. I'm sorry that so greatly offends you. Since I know most of the CCA women's mechanics, I don't think it's necessary at the moment especially since this won't be my primary league.

Thank you for your holier-than-thou rant about those cheapskate officials like me. However, I'll point out that I was hired in a junior college conference this past summer.

BBallRef:

Please direct your irritation toward me.

As someone who started his basketball officiating career while in college I understand your financial concerns. Starting with my fourth year as official I was officiating H.S. basketball in two different states and was officiating women's college basketball. That meant I had a to have different jerseys for the two different states in which I officiated H.S. basketball, fortunately I could wear the same pants and warm-up jacket. None of what I wore for my H.S. games could be worn for my college assignments: white shoes, navy blue pants, blue/white striped shirt, navy blue warm-up jacket, and navy blue lanyard.

Yes, I am very old. But, as a college student you have to make adult decisions: Which is more important: Do you forgo a six-pack of beer this weekend so that you can buy the CCA Manual so that you can do your job correctly? Or do I say, screw it I will just fake it on the court.

And, yes, I do know how expensive it is to go to college. I have two sons in college. Mark, Jr., who officiates H.S. basketball, baseball, and softball, and college softball, is an engineering student and for those non-engineering majors you do not want to know how much spends on text books each semester.

A copy of the CCA Manual will cost no more than $15, including S&H. So forgo a six-pack and a pizza this weekend and order the book.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio