View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 31, 2016, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This first insight above parallels something I've been toying with as an approach to the topic: "Respond, but don't react." Something simple, but means a mind shift for some. Me sometimes, too.

The second insight has a flip side. Video review shows too many officials, upon reporting shooting fouls, sauntering unnecessarily right over to the coach. Too much. Habitually. Too often. In the first half, it commonly invites comments and statements that otherwise would have gone unexpressed except for the all-too-close proximity of the official. In the second half, it gives the impression of seeking affirmation for the call just made.
When the coach is kneeling down, it just makes no sense for the official to go over to his coaches box and stand there with his butt in the coach's face. Laugh, but it happens.
Better, perhaps, on shooting fouls, is to get to a location in the reporting box where you want to end up for the free throw, report, turn around, signal number of free throws to partners, and stay right there. Wandering after the report gives the impression of nervousness and uncertainty. Heading directly to the proximity of the coach doesn't always look or work out for the best. If the coach as a question, great -- a couple of steps backward to listen to him, but never turning away from the floor and always conveying the impression that there's attention on the court that the official has to maintain after the brief and tactful interaction between the two.
Just some misc. thoughts that maybe not everyone would agree with but some might.
I report and stay out near the volleyball sideline initially. They will have to make an effort to get my attention. I cringe watching officials that by habit just walk over next to the coach after every close call, whether it goes their way or not.