Thread: Reporting foul
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
Every supervisor tells me to stop then report and then every supervisor I watch walks and talks at the same time.
APG's advice was better than I could have phrased it.

I went to a high school camp this summer and one of the clinicians said, "You've obviously worked very hard on your mechanics. Now work on being less robotic and more approachable." Not sure if that really translates to this or not, but it was a good bit of advice. If I wasn't doing my mechanics correctly, he probably would have told me to work on x and y until I nailed them.

For what it's worth, I come to a stop in my high school games. We use NFHS mechanics in SC with no exceptions (individual crews choose whether to "long switch"), and even though using book mechanics is not strictly enforced (the basketball commissioner doesn't really know anything about officiating), I stop and use one hand because that's what we're supposed to do. I don't know what it is, but for me, walking and talking while using one hand feels awkward. It feels less awkward if I'm using two. Again, that's just me.

In my JUCO games my assigner hasn't really implored us to stop before we report, but I try very hard to because that's what the CCA manual says to do.