Thread: legal bats
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 14, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TruBlu
That's the way I see it also. Good for one ASA, good for all. Speaking of that - I wish I had a dollar for every bat I took out of games this past summer for not having the ASA legal marking, only to have the bat taken to the UIC and having it found to be on the "legal list". Why do we check bats if it doesn't count? It just delays the game. Have all bats checked by the UIC upon check-in. They won't sneak in any more illegal ones by doing that than they already do.
The checking of bats is a courtesy and preventive umpiring. Other than damaged bats, the only thing you really need to check is for banned bats that have not be recertified as all other bats are more than likely legal with the exception of a few new bats which have just been added to the list in the past month.

This year in our state tournaments, I took ASA's suggestion to heart and warned everyone that the penalty for using a banned bat would be an out and the player would be ejected for the TOURNAMENT.