View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Another poster in another thread stated:

"I have found just reaching for my cell phone is often enough to get the person to leave."

The only time I've ever carried my cell phone during a game was in a tournament when Saturday was a complete washout and we played 3-inning "games" on Sunday until the semi-finals. There were a lot of field changes, umpire changes, and tournament rule adjustments.

Other than that, I always leave my phone in my car.

I know several guys who think they can't be away from their phones for more than 10 minutes. It's an addiction, much like smoking. I worked with a guy about 10 years ago who would light up between innings. The one minute between innings grew to 3 or 4 until I would step in and call "balls in".

There are some folks who use their phones as a timer during timed games. I use a wind-up wrist watch that I keep in my pocket if I'm the keeper of the time. (And, no, I DON'T want this to rat-hole on the opinions of timers on fences! )

Anybody else carrying a semi-concealed cell phone?
I used to when I was working a game where my 12 and 14 year old sons were working on another field when I worked soccer. I used a smart watch as well, so I wouldn't need to pull out the phone to know at a glance if I needed to arrange emergency transportation arrangements for the kids, which I would do in between innings or at halftime, depending on the sport. With my wife often at work in the ICU or surgery, she was generally unable to check her phone during the day. So, I thought it was better to have at least one parent able to be reached by phone in an emergency. But, one day the phone fell out of my ballbag (I use 2) during a middle school softball game, and I realized then that I really can't have it with me. If I can bring it to the field in a gear bag, I will, but sometimes I have to leave it in the car. I have made an arrangement with a kind neighbor to be available by phone and I have deputized her to handle emergencies if I can't be reached. It isn't ideal, but honestly, we must have had some way to handle this back before we had cell phones, right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk